Announcement: 2007-09-19

SCHEDULE FOR THE WEEK OF SEPTEMBER 17-22–

WEDNESDAY – Half day schedule

THURSDAY
    Girls’ tennis at Firebaugh, 4 P.M.
    Girls’ (JV/V) volleyball at Firebaugh, 4:30 P.M.

FRIDAY – Chapel schedule
    H.S. yearbook sales party, G.Z., 11:05 A.M.

JV/V football @ Riverdale, 5:30/7:30 P.M.

SPORTS PHYSICAL REMINDER–
    All students interested in participating in winter sports need to get their sports physicals completed and turned into the office. The forms are on the table in front of the office. All four pages are due on Oct. 10.

JAMBA JUICE, Sept. 24–
    Leadership will sell Jamba Juice during lunch to support campus events on Sept. 24. The options include a 16 oz. razmatazz or strawberries wild smoothie for $3.15.

“JUST FOR GIRLS” BIBLE STUDY–
    The sign-up list is still in front of the office for any girls interested in joining Michelle Wright’s bible study. The first meeting will take place next on Sept. 27 in room 604. Future meetings will be held every other Friday following the first on Sept. 27.

BOOK AND WALKING BUDDY SIGN-UPS–
    The Book Buddy and Walking Buddy programs will be starting at the beginning of October and the club need volunteers to participate. This program will take place every Tuesday during chapel and lunch. Students will be bussed over to Pinedale elementary to read with an assigned student or to walk and participate in activities with them. Sign-ups will begin on Sept. 17 in front of the office. See Jennifer Lee for more information.

NATIONAL ORGANIZATION HONORS THE FEATHER PRINT EDITION- SEPT. 11–
    Despite three rookies leading the campus newspaper for the 2006/07 school year, Editor-in-chief, Mary Kneefel, senior editor, Jenn Sherfield and layout and design editor, Ryan Martens, led print edition staff of 23 students to a winning design for a second straight year.

The print edition of The Feather was awarded Quill and Scroll’s International First Place Award on Sept. 10 with a score of 903 out of 1,000 points. Quill and Scroll International News Media Evaluation judges the strengths and weaknesses of high school newspapers across the United States regardless of size.

The Feather Online (www.thefeather.com) continues to produce new articles each school day. As of Sept. 10, 55 articles have appeared online reflecting campus news, sports, features and profiles, reviews and opinions.

FEATHER RECEIVES BACK-TO-BACK ACCOLADES- SEPT. 17–
    The National Edition has chosen three Feather articles for the second week in a row to appear in its Sept. 17 edition. Ten articles from schools across the nation were chosen for this award. For a second straight week, sophomore Suzanna Quiring had an article appear. Her book review article, “Benedict provokes mystery” appeared in their entertainment section. Freshman Austin Ward’s article, “Relationships with teachers affect academic success” appeared in the features section, and junior, Melissa Lichti’s article, “Foriegn students affect school culture” appeared in the student life section.

Readers can check out these articles in the various sections of the National Edition or their respective sections of The Feather Online. This is the most articles that The Feather Online has posted on the National Edition at one time. Last year, 15 articles from The Feather Online appeared on the National Edition; the most articles that The Feather Online has placed in the National Edition’s online publication since it bean choosing articles in September 2003.

The National Edition is a publication sponsored by the American Society of Newspaper Editors.

YEARBOOK SALE, SEPT. 21–
    Yearbooks will be sold on Sept. 21. A special package deal is being offered for one day only: buy a print yearbook and the virtual yearbook DVD for $85 for both. Separately the print yearbook will be sold for $75 and the virtual yearbook DVD for $15. Yearbooks and DVDs will be sold throughout the year, but the price will go up after the one day sale. You may get your name and/or an icon printed on the cover for $5 each. See a yearbook staff member or adviser Molly Sargent for details.

Also being sold on Sept. 21 will be select items from Taco Bell. Students may choose from bean burritos with onions, bean burritos without onions, hard beef tacos, soft beef tacos, and cheese quesadillas. All food items will be $1 each. Bottled water and canned lemonade will also be sold for $.50 each. If you plan on purchasing Taco Bell on that day, you must complete the order form. If you did not get one, pick up a form in the office, fill it out, and put it in Sargent’s box. All other forms will be picked up today sixth period with the payment.

PUBLICATIONS ADVISER PLANS IRELAND TRIP–
    Whether European travel has eluded you or a return trip interests you, Greg Stobbe is planning a customized tour to Ireland this coming June. ?Ireland is as much a part of this country?s immigration and growth in later 1800s to the mid 1900s,? Stobbe said. ?Many of our families have historical ties to Ireland and this is a great opportunity to go back to our roots.? There are still spots available and parents, alumni, students and youth groups are encouraged to check out the itinerary. Contact Stobbe for an itinerary at [email protected]. Those interested could also read Jennifer Sherfield’s Aug. 24 online article, “Adviser plans Irish tour”.

CLASS COLORS, THEMES–
    Seniors theme: Mutant Ninja Turtles; Color: black. Juniors theme: Rockstar; Color: red. Sophmores theme: Superheroes; Color: green. Freshman theme: Jungle; Color: turquoise. The dress code will be enforced.

TUTORS NEEDED–
    High school students interested in tutoring see George Freeman in the junior high office as soon as possible. This is a paid position.

COMMUNITY SERVICE OPPORTUNITY AT VALLEY CHILDREN’S HOSPITAL–
    Children’s Hospital is holding various events and needs volunteers on the following dates:

The annual Change Bandit, Bandit Bash needs volunteers any time between 4 and 9 P.M. on Sept. 27. Students will work the gates, collect change bags from guests, help distribute food tickets, wrist bands, etc at the Clovis Rodeo Grounds. Food will be provided for volunteers.

For more information or questions, you can contact Jon Endicott at the office or Teri Amerine at [email protected].

ADVENTURE P.E. OFFERED–
    Once a month the P.E. department will organize excursions to activities not commonly associated with normal P.E. classes. There is limited spots available, sign up in the office. For more information e-mail Scott Callisch at [email protected].

September-Surfing in Santa Cruz
    October- Biking in Yosemite
    November- Kayaking at Cayucos
    February- Rock climbing
    March- Scuba diving intro class
    April- Windsurfing
    May- Rafting

MOM’S IN TOUCH–
    Please join Mom’s In Touch prayer group every Friday from 8-9 A.M. in room 204 in the Peoples Church building. If you have any questions, call MaryAnn Fujihara, (559)298-7953.

DATES TO REMEMBER–

SEPTEMBER–

September 19 – Half-Day Schedule, Teachers’ Inservice
    September 27- Community Service Change Bandit

OCTOBER–

October 2- SAT Registration Deadline (for test on Nov. 3)
    October 6- SAT Reasoning, Subject Tests
    October 17- PSAT/NMSQT Test
    October 19 – Homecoming
    October 20- PSAT/NMSQT Test
    October 26 – Beach Trip to Cayucos
    October 30- SAT Registration Deadline (for test on Dec. 1)