Yodigity revolutionizes yogurt

After two hours of cheer practice, many choose cold beverages; I, on the other hand, recommend Yodigity.

Owner Dave Swinney opened the self-serve establishment in mid June of this year. The unique fix-it-yourself twist, transforms an ordinary frozen yogurt experience into a fun and memorable treat.

I was impressed as I walked through the door. The eatery was empty except for the topping bars that lined the right wall and the few rod-iron tables. The aroma of waffle cones filled the simple, yet clean atmosphere of the shop.

The employees were congenial and willing to answer any of my questions, which included how the yogurt process worked.

Yodigity offers a healthier alternative to ice cream, because nearly all flavors are fat-free or few sugar-free. The selection rotates between numerous flavors, offering 10 at a time.

Both the strawberry and boysenberry flavors tasted fruity, flavorful and fresh. I would also recommend the banana cream, which has a creamy, yet light texture, which will satisfy any sweet tooth. Although I liked nearly every flavor I tasted, the pecan praline yogurt requires an acquired taste, due to its somewhat sour flavoring.

After dispensing my own yogurt, choosing the amount I desired, I made my way to the topping bar. There are 48 different topping choices such as: eight types of fruit, a variety of nuts, syrups, gummies, sprinkles, cookie dough, candy pieces and graham cracker crumbs. I chose the graham cracker crumbs to provide a contrast of textures.

After I selected my boysenberry yogurt and topping, I brought my dessert to the cashier counter, where the employee weighed my cup, which calculated the price and sent me on my way.

The employees determine the price by weighing the cup, adding $0.44 per oz. For an extra $1, there is the option of a swirl freeze, which blends two or more flavors of yogurt. It is worth the price, in my opinion.

Another interesting spin to this establishment is a 60-inch TV, which displays a slide show of recent customers with their frozen treats.

Yodigity is located in the Montecito Shopping Center at the northwest corner of Willow and Nees. The name alone can draw in any customer, but the quality service and experience will keep them coming for more.

For more information, call Yodigity at (559) 324-8080.