Announcement: 2007-10-11

SCHEDULE FOR THE WEEK OF OCTOBER 8-13–

Schedule for October 8-13
    Schecdule for October 8 – 13, 2007

THURSDAY
    Girls’ tennis vs. Avenal (H) – HQ, 4 P.M.
    Girls’ (JV/V) volleyball vs. Avenal (H) – FC gym, 4:30/5:45 P.M.

FRIDAY
    Pep rally – FC gym, 11:05 P.M.
    Cross country @ Roosevelt, 2 P.M.
    Boys’ (JV/V) football vs. Firebaugh (H), 5:30/7:30 P.M.

NATIONAL AUDIENCE READS FEATHER–
    For the fifth time in as many weeks, the National Edition chose Feather articles to represent teen writing. Sophmore Alyssa Boss’ “Book Buddies create success”, freshman Madison Dooley’s “Makeover promotes female maturity” and senior Amanda Wood’s “Curfew constricts teen shopping” all were honored in the Oct. 8 edition.

Readers can check out articles in the various sections of the National Edition or their respective sections of The Feather Online. The Feather has placed articles in the first five issues of the National Edition. Since the first issue, 13 articles have now appeared in the weekly online newspaper.

The National Edition began publication in September 2003 and is sponsored by the American Society of Newspaper Editors.

GIRLS SOCCER MEETING–
    There will be a mandatory meeting for all girls interested in playing soccer during lunch in room 604 on Oct. 11.

TUTORS NEEDED–
    George Freeman needs several high school students to tutor math after school. If interested, please contact Freeman as soon as possible.

TRAVEL IRELAND, DEADLINE APPROACHES–
    Those students, parents and alumni who have considered traveling with Greg Stobbe to Ireland need to bring him signed consent forms and a deposit of $400 to reserve a place on his upcoming June trip to Ireland. If 20 people are not signed up by Oct. 24, Stobbe will cancel the trip and begin working on another trip for a future date. Contact Stobbe through Greg Stobbe’s e-mail or drop off the signed form in his office box ASAP.
    Those who do not have the itinerary or form can also get them from Stobbe.

Those interested could also read Jennifer Sherfield’s Aug. 24 online article, “Adviser plans Irish tour” or read the itinerary in the FCS Vault under Stobbe and Ed. Tours.

SPANISH CLUB–
    Students interested in the Spanish language and culture, are invited for an informational meeting in room 603 on Oct. 12. Bring your lunch and meet this year’s Spanish club officers and find out how you can become a member. The meeting will also discuss the club’s goals and activities for this school year.

USED CELL PHONES–
    Fellowship of Christian Athletes(FCA) is gathering used cell phones to raise funds for their activities. They need at least 30 phones before they can receive credit. Please donate unused cell phones in the designated bin outside the office.

COLUMBIA SCOLASTIC PRESS ASSOCIATION OF NYC HONORS FEATHER–
    The Feather print edition has been honored with another medal from an Ivy League school on Oct. 5. The Columbia Scholastic Press Association of Columbia University, New York City, awarded The Feather’s 2006-07 issues a Silver Medal with 916 out of a possible 1,000 points. The Feather missed a Gold Medal by 9 points. Rookie editors Ryan Martens and Mary Kneefel led a mostly brand new staff. Columbia gave the 2005-06 Feather issues a Gold Medal, which nearly earned a perfect score.

The Feather also earned All-Columbian Honors for their overall coverage and business operations. As a result, The Feather achieved at the 95% or higher in those categories.

Columbia University provides a critique of the submitted newspapers, which provides constructive, rigorous and specific criteria that describe the ideal student publication.

CSF MEETING, Oct. 15–
    The first California Scholastic Federation meeting of the semester will be held during lunch in Room 621 on Oct. 15. Refer to the posted list of accepted members on the office window. For any questions see adviser Molly Sargent or contact her through Molly Sargent’s e-mail.

ROCK THESE WALLS–
    The administration presents Rock These Walls and will host top Christian artists at Peoples Church on Nov. 14 at 7:30 P.M.. The first installment of Rock These Walls will feature Aaron Shust and Building 429. Tickets cost $20 each, but campus students and family can buy them in advance in the office for $15 from Oct. 2-Oct. 15. VIP packages are also available and include a limo for 10, dinner, VIP seating and a photo-op with the band. Visit Jennifer Lee in the office to purchase tickets or for more information.

BEACH TRIP–
    The annual field trip to Cayucos will take place on Oct. 26. Students will ride a charter bus to Cayucos, hang out on the beach in the afternoon and then attend the Coast Union football game in the evening. The cost for the trip is $30, which will include the bus ride, a snack on the bus, and entrance to the game. The students will need to bring additional money for lunch and dinner. Pick up a permission slip in front of the office and return it to the student leadership sign-up table in the Ground Zero quad during lunch. Sign-ups begin Oct. 3.

PRESS ASSOCIATION AWARDS FEATHER FIRST CLASS DESIGNATION–
    For the third year in a row, the National Scholastic Press Association awarded The Feather their top award on Oct. 1. The Feather’s ‘s 2006-07 print edition issues were awarded First Class with two marks of distinction. According to the judges, the strengths of the campus newspaper are again its writing and editing and the layout and design. Editor-in-chief Mary Kneefel and Ryan Martens, both rookies in those positions last year, continue the standard of excellence that has characterized the newspaper’s reuptation since 2003.

The Feather Online was also nominated for NSPA’s top award (Pacemaker) in April 2007 as the best online high school newspaper in the United States, regardless of size. However, The Feather Online won this award in 2006 and was honored as the top online high school newspaper in the country!

PSAT, Oct. 17–
    PSAT is scheduled to be administered on Oct. 17 at 8 A.M. The test is recommended for sophomores and juniors in preparation for taking the regular SAT. The cost is $13 and sign-ups are available in the office.

ADVENTURE P.E. No. 2–
    The P.E. department is taking signups for adventure P.E. No. 2, a bike riding excursion around the Yosemite valley floor. The tentative date is Oct. 12 from 8 A.M.-4 P.M. Sign up in the office or with Scott Callisch, P.E. instructor.

SPORTS PHYSICAL REMINDER–
    All students interested in participating in winter sports need to get their sports physicals completed and turned into the office. The forms are on the table in front of the office. All four pages are due on Oct. 10.

PUBLICATIONS ADVISER PLANS IRELAND TRIP–
    Whether European travel has eluded you or a return trip interests you, Greg Stobbe is planning a customized tour to Ireland this coming June. ?Ireland is as much a part of this country?s immigration and growth in later 1800s to the mid 1900s,? Stobbe said. ?Many of our families have historical ties to Ireland and this is a great opportunity to go back to our roots.? There are still spots available and parents, alumni, students and youth groups are encouraged to check out the itinerary. Contact Stobbe for an itinerary at [email protected]. Those interested could also read Jennifer Sherfield’s Aug. 24 online article, “Adviser plans Irish tour”.

HOMECOMING CLASS COLORS, THEMES–
    Seniors theme: Mutant Ninja Turtles; Color: black. Juniors theme: Rockstar; Color: red. Sophmores theme: Superheroes; Color: green. Freshman theme: Jungle; Color: turquoise. The dress code will be enforced.

TUTORS NEEDED–
    High school students interested in tutoring see George Freeman in the junior high office as soon as possible. This is a paid position.

ADVENTURE P.E. OFFERED–
    Once a month the P.E. department will organize excursions to activities not commonly associated with traditional P.E. classes. There are limited spots available, sign up in the office. For more information e-mail Scott Callisch at [email protected].

October- Biking in Yosemite
    November- Kayaking at Cayucos
    February- Rock climbing
    March- Scuba diving intro class
    April- Windsurfing
    May- Rafting

MOM’S IN TOUCH–
    Please join Mom’s In Touch prayer group every Friday from 8-9 A.M. in Room 204 in the Peoples Church building. If you have any questions, call MaryAnn Fujihara, (559) 298-7953.

DATES TO REMEMBER–

OCTOBER–

October 17- PSAT/NMSQT Test
    October 19 – Homecoming
    October 20- PSAT/NMSQT Test
    October 26 – Beach Trip to Cayucos
    October 30- SAT Registration Deadline (for test on Dec.