Yearbook captures permanent memories

As the year comes to an end, yearbooks stand as a symbol of everything accomplished during the year, both for the student body and the yearbook staff as they release their final product.

“We are always relieved to finish the yearbook,” Molly Sargent, yearbook adviser, said.” It’s a big project and there are so many deadlines to be met so the lack of stress feels good after it’s done. Once it’s finished, we also know it will be delivered on time.”

Co-editors Ellie Wilhelm, ’08, and Molly Griffin, ’09, worked together for only one year on yearbook staff and are proud to present the book to the student body, May 22.

“It was great to work with Ellie because there was so much to do to pull it together,” Griffin said. ?”It was very helpful to have someone who had the same knowledge of the yearbook software. Together, Ellie and I were able to use all of our ideas and put them together.”

This year’s theme is ‘The Road of Life’ which is based off of the Milton Bradley board game, Life.

The idea originated when Sargent requested her yearbook students to think of ideas for the theme for the year. Sophomore Lauren Barisic returned with the idea for the board game. However, she commissioned her sister Katie, ’13, to draw the cover.

“Lauren came to me with the idea and asked me to draw it,” Katie said. “It took a very long time and my mom helped me. She helped me color a lot and she fixed some of my mistakes.”

After working for an entire school year on the yearbook, the project stands as an achievement for the staff as they admire their work.

“I think the student life section turned out especially well,” Sargent said. “Also, I like the Asian page, which has to do with not only the Asian Club but also it talks about issues involving being a part of a different culture.”

The student life section also stands as a favorite for Griffin, for it encompasses many campus experiences.

“The student life section has all of the fashion, homecoming and Night of the Stars pieces,” Griffin said. “I think that the yearbook turned out well, but when we go through it we’ll always see things we think we could have improved.”

Since the printing of the yearbooks, the staff has time to relax and enjoy the end product, along with planning for next year.

“I saw the yearbook early,” Wilhelm said. “It is definitely better than I could imagine.”

Since Griffin is a co-editor as a junior, she will resume her co-editor position as a senior with Jason Herron, ’09, next year.

“Every person has something different to offer,” Wilhelm said. “Next year, the style will probably be different but I think Jason and Molly will work very well together.”

While Griffin has editor experience, for Herron it will be a new task.

“I am excited about next year, but I know it will be a lot more work,” Herron said. “I know that working with Molly will be good because she is really experienced and I’m hoping that if one of us forgets how to do something, the other will remember.”

Sargent advises students to purchase the yearbook because she believes it is a permanent memory.

“When you get older you look back at the mug shots or the homecoming pictures and remember how you might have helped with the float, or you see the teacher you actually liked,” Sargent said. “Plus your kids may even want to look at your old yearbook and laugh at what you looked like then. It helps you remember high school in a positive way.”

The yearbooks will be distributed on May 22 at the yearbook signing party in Ground Zero. They can still be purchased from Sargent for $85.