Announcement: 2007-10-25

SCHEDULE FOR THE WEEK OF OCTOBER 22-27–

Schedule for October 22 – 27, 2007

THURSDAY
    Cross Country @ Kingsburg John Seaman’s Invite, 2:30 P.M.

FRIDAY – BEACH TRIP
    Annual Beach trip to Cayucos – Busses Lv. 10 A.M., return 1 A.M.
    JV/V football @ Coast Union – Cambria, 4:30/7:00 P.M.

TENNIS LEAGUE PLAYOFFS–
    West Sequoia League Individual Championship results:

SINGLES:
    1st place: Kara Linkowski
    2nd place: Brittany Shaffer

DOUBLES:
    2nd place: Janae and Tonia Keys-Bramlett
    3rd place: Kristina Palmer and Megan Ortiz

ADVENTURE P.E.–
    Adventure PE is gearing up for its third adventure: ocean kayaking. For those interested in participating, the date is Friday, Nov. 9. Sign up in front of the high school office or with a physical education teacher. The cost will be $30.

SUCCESS BREEDS SUCCESS–
    For the 7th straight week, two senior Feather writers have been chosen to represent teen journalists in a national newspaper. Michelle Rose’s, “Senior manages multiple jobs,” and Ryan Martens’, “Seeker misplaces merit,” are currently honored in the Oct. 22 National Edition.

Readers can check out the article in the features sections of the National Edition or in The Feather Online. The Feather has placed articles in the first seven issues of the National Edition. Since the first issue this year, 16 articles have now appeared in the weekly online newspaper.

The National Edition began publication in September 2003 and is sponsored by the American Society of Newspaper Editors. Over 580 schools across the United States, regardless of size, participate in this organization.

NEW INCENTIVE FOR ROCK THESE WALLS–
    A new incentive has just been announced! Starting today through Nov. 5, students can earn cash by selling tickets for the upcoming Rock These Walls concert at Peoples Church. Anyone who sells 20 or more tickets will earn $50. Top seller earns $100.

Tickets to the Nov. 14 “Rock These Walls” concert featuring AARON SHUST and BUILDING 429 are on sale. Individual tickets cost $20.

Come to any school office, turn in the money, and pick up the tickets. Prizes will be awarded on Nov. 6.

HOMECOMING COURT–
    For those of you who were not at the Homecoming football game on Friday night, the winners of the Homecoming Court are as follows:

Freshman princess: Ashley Ward
    Sophomore princess: Olyvia Franklin
    Junior princess: Brittany Stobbe
    Senior princess: Sammie Krikorian
    Homecoming Queen: Kara Linkowski
    Homecoming King: Ryan Brunn

BEACH TRIP–
    The annual field trip to Cayucos will take place on Oct. 26. Students will ride a charter bus to Cayucos, hang out on the beach in the afternoon and then attend the Coast Union football game in the evening. The cost for the trip is $30, which will include the bus ride, a snack on the bus, and entrance to the game. The students will need to bring additional money for lunch and dinner. Pick up a permission slip in front of the office and return it to the student leadership sign-up table in the Ground Zero quad during lunch. Sign-ups begin Oct. 3.

TUTORS NEEDED–
    George Freeman needs several high school students to tutor math after school. If interested, please contact Freeman as soon as possible.

TRAVEL IRELAND, DEADLINE APPROACHES–
    Those students, parents and alumni who have considered traveling with Greg Stobbe to Ireland need to bring him signed consent forms and a deposit of $400 to reserve a place on his upcoming June trip to Ireland. If 20 people are not signed up by Oct. 24, Stobbe will cancel the trip and begin working on another trip for a future date. Contact Stobbe through Greg Stobbe’s e-mail or drop off the signed form in his office box ASAP.
    Those who do not have the itinerary or form can also get them from Stobbe.

Those interested could also read Jennifer Sherfield’s Aug. 24 online article, “Adviser plans Irish tour” or read the itinerary in the FCS Vault under Stobbe and Ed. Tours.

Second Theatre Production–
    The Parent Support Network would like to invite you to Second Space Theater in the Tower District for a night of entertainment for the play, The Best Christmas Pageant Ever on Saturday, Nov. 10. Tickets will be available in the high school office next week for $25. If three or more are purchased at the same time, the cost is $20 per ticket.

Raffle tickets will also be available in the high school office for $5 each or five for $20. Prizes include six sessions of spray tanning at Mystique worth $240; $100 gift certificate to the elegant restaurant, Roe; $100 gift certificate to Claim Jumper restaurant, FSU basketball and FSU football tickets, and many other prizes! Help support PSN for its annual fundraising event.

USED CELL PHONES–
    Fellowship of Christian Athletes(FCA) is gathering used cell phones to raise funds for their activities. They need at least 30 phones before they can receive credit. Please donate unused cell phones in the designated bin outside the office.

COLUMBIA SCOLASTIC PRESS ASSOCIATION OF NYC HONORS FEATHER–
    The Feather print edition has been honored with another medal from an Ivy League school on Oct. 5. The Columbia Scholastic Press Association of Columbia University, New York City, awarded The Feather’s 2006-07 issues a Silver Medal with 916 out of a possible 1,000 points. The Feather missed a Gold Medal by 9 points. Rookie editors Ryan Martens and Mary Kneefel led a mostly brand new staff. Columbia gave the 2005-06 Feather issues a Gold Medal, which nearly earned a perfect score.

The Feather also earned All-Columbian Honors for their overall coverage and business operations. As a result, The Feather achieved at the 95% or higher in those categories.

Columbia University provides a critique of the submitted newspapers, which provides constructive, rigorous and specific criteria that describe the ideal student publication.

ROCK THESE WALLS–
    The administration presents Rock These Walls and will host top Christian artists at Peoples Church on Nov. 14 at 7:30 P.M.. The first installment of Rock These Walls will feature Aaron Shust and Building 429. Tickets cost $20 each, but campus students and family can buy them in advance in the office for $15 from Oct. 2-Oct. 15. VIP packages are also available and include a limo for 10, dinner, VIP seating and a photo-op with the band. Visit Jennifer Lee in the office to purchase tickets or for more information.

CLASS COLORS, THEMES–
    Seniors theme: Mutant Ninja Turtles; Color: black. Juniors theme: Rockstar; Color: red. Sophmores theme: Superheroes; Color: green. Freshman theme: Jungle; Color: turquoise. The dress code will be enforced.

TUTORS NEEDED–
    High school students interested in tutoring see George Freeman in the junior high office as soon as possible. This is a paid position.

ADVENTURE P.E. OFFERED–
    Once a month the P.E. department will organize excursions to activities not commonly associated with traditional P.E. classes. There are limited spots available, sign up in the office. For more information e-mail Scott Callisch at [email protected].

November- Kayaking at Cayucos
    February- Rock climbing
    March- Scuba diving intro class
    April- Windsurfing
    May- Rafting

MOM’S IN TOUCH–
    Please join Mom’s In Touch prayer group every Friday from 8-9 A.M. in Room 204 in the Peoples Church building. If you have any questions, call MaryAnn Fujihara, (559) 298-7953.

DATES TO REMEMBER–

OCTOBER–

October 30- *SAT registration deadline for Dec. 1 test
    October 31 – Half day schedule, teachers’ inservice
    November 3- SAT and Subject Tests
    November 10 – Second Space Theatre Family Night
    November 12 – No school, Veteran’s Day
    November 14 – Rock These Walls concert
    November 21 – Half day schedule
    November 22-25 – Thanksgiving holiday
    November 28 – Half day schedule, teachers’ inservice
    December 1- SAT and Subject Tests
    December 14 – Half day schedule, end of first semester
    December 15 – January 6 – Christmas vacation
    December 26- *SAT registration deadline for Jan. 26 test
    January 7 – First day of second semester
    January 21 – No school, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
    January 26 – AcaDec Interview/Speech/Essay Competition
    SAT and Subject Tests
    January 29- *SAT registration deadline for March 1 test
    January 30 – Half day schedule, teachers’ inservice
    February 2 – AcaDec Super Quiz
    Febryary 2 – Softball dinner/auction
    February 8/9 – JH/HS drama production
    February 11 – No school, Lincoln’s birthday
    February 18 – No school, Presidents’ Day
    February 27 – Half day schedule, teachers’ inservice
    March 1- SAT Test
    March 8 – FCS Auction
    March 14 – End of third quarter

* SAT deadlines: U.S. deadlines apply, late fees enforced