Students expand wardrobes through thrifting

Thrift stores provide affordable, creative fashion
Sanjay Stephen

Reduce, reuse, recycle. Thrifting provides the opportunity for communities to shop gently-used items for marked-down prices. 

Although most people see thrifting as a fun activity, there are so many unknown benefits that come with the experience. 

Thrifting helps the environment by reducing the waste in landfills. Recycled clothing helps reduce the carbon and chemical pollution which is caused by clothing production. 

Local thrift stores offer array of fashion trends. (Sanjay Stephen)

Thrift stores are also a huge support for lower income communities. Thrift shops offer varieties of clothing for affordable prices. This gives access to poverty-stricken people to purchase and afford clothing. Some thrift stores offer bag or sticker sales, where items get discounted further. 

Arlene Rivera, assistant manager at Black Marketplace Vintage Boutique in Fresno, touches on the vision of the company. 

“We try to reduce, reuse, try to find the value in things people don’t see or maybe are just not knowledgeable about,” Rivera said. “What’s really great about our company is that we just try to work with the community, try to set our price points where we’re more affordable.” 

With styles from past generations making a comeback with the younger age group, thrifting makes vintage clothing more available. This is such a benefit to those who enjoy expanding and opening up their style and wardrobe to unique styles that aren’t commonly seen in today’s clothing productions. 

Black Marketplace is a polished boutique on east Olive Avenue in Fresno. Under the same company as another shop, Neighborhood Thrift, Rivera lists what makes “blkmktplc.” unique.

“What’s different about our second hand store is we’re very curated. We try to accommodate people.” Rivera said. “Obviously vintage is our main focus so we tend to put more vintage pieces versus contemporary.”

After working with the establishment for almost six years, Arlene Rivera picked up skills she didn’t know would be helpful. 

“Quality, fabrics, designers. I’ve learned to identify fabrics just by looking at it, without having to touch them,” Rivera said.

Many people commonly mistake thrift and consignment stores as the same. The main difference between the two: consignment stores don’t run off of donations.

People take their items to consignment stores and a third party sells their items. Then they receive a percentage of the sale price once sold. 

Consignment stores only accept certain items of their discernment, unlike thrift shops that receive all donations. Both thrifting and consignment stores sell second-hand pieces of clothing and various articles, but there will definitely be an upcharge purchasing from a consignment store. 

Avid thrifter, Maya Cortez, ‘27, describes the upsides and downsides of thrifting. 

“I think the upside is that there are some really great finds, and sometimes it’s really good stuff for so cheap and you’re just like ‘I just scored something’,” Cortez said. “The downside is that you need a lot of patience. You have to go in knowing and preparing that you have a high chance of not finding what you’re looking for.”

Students save money and get creative through thrifting. (Sanjay Stephen)

If you’re looking for an inexpensive way to expand your wardrobe, thrifting is the perfect way, while also playing a part in saving the environment. 

Some popular local thrift stores are: 

Black Marketplace Vintage Boutique

Plato’s Closet

Salvation Army

Thrift City

Mission Thrift

Goodwill

Thrift Center

To read more from The Feather, visit Theatre Arts considerations in the Fresno Area or Gaming Review: Bloons tower defense 6.

Sanjay Stephen
Sanjay Stephen, Journalist
First year Feather journalist, Sanjay Stephen is a hard worker who expresses himself through creativity and art. He pushes himself to try new things, like running hurdles for the Track & Field team and exploring the roots of other cultures. His hobby is coordinating events for his friends and community. Stephen's passion is the area of Arts and Entertainment, where he hopes to expand The Feather coverage.