Announcement: 2007-11-27

&idSCHEDULE FOR THE WEEK OF NOVEMBER 26- DECEMBER 1, 2007–

TUESDAY – CHAPEL SCHEDULE
    Book/Walking Buddies, Pinedale, 11:30 A.M.
    Boys’ varsity basketball trip to Watsonville/Sunnyvale, lv. 3 P.M., @ Saint Francis, 7:30 P.M.

WEDNESDAY – HALF DAY
    Boys’ varsity basketball trip to Watsonville/Sunnyvale, @ Pajaro Valley, 7 P.M.
    Girls’ varsity basketball @ Clovis Inv. Tourn., 6:30 P.M.

THURSDAY
    Boys’ varsity basketball trip to Watsonville/Sunnyvale
    Josten ring orders, 11:35 A.M.
    Girls’ soccer @ Fowler Soccer Tourn., 4:15 P.M., 7:40 P.M.
    Boys’ varsity basketball @ Kings Academy Tourn. vs. Half Moon Bay, 6:30 P.M.

FRIDAY
    “Just for Girls” Bible study, room 604, 11:35 A.M.
    Girls’ varsity basketball @ Clovis Inv. Tourn., 7 P.M.
    Girls’ soccer @ Fowler Soccer Tourn., 3 P.M., 7:40 P.M.
    Boys’ soccer @ Sierra Mountain vs. Yosemite, 9 A.M., vs. Chowchilla, 12 P.M.
    Boys’ varsity basketball @ Kings Academy Tourn., 6:30 P.M.

SATURDAY
    Girls’ soccer @ Fowler Soccer Tourn., time TBA
    Boys’ soccer @ Sierra Mountain, time TBA
    Girls’ varsity basketball @ Clovis Inv. Tourn., time TBA

FRESNO BEE HONORS FEATHER, NOV. 24–
    While the Feather Online (www.thefeather.com) staff continue to pursue their task of reporting campus news, sports, profiles and issues on a daily basis, The Fresno Bee acknowledged their efforts on Saturday. The Bee editorial staff led by Jim Boren gave Editor-in-chief Mary Kneefel and The Feather staff a Thumbs Up on the Opinions page, Nov. 24.

The Bee specifically noted how, for more than two months, Feather articles appeared on the National Edition (www.my.highschooljournalism.org/nationaledition).

Mary, and editors Jennifer Sherfield, Coleton Hutchins, Claire Kister, Ben Dang, Taylor Torrence, Chelsea Joy, Brittany Stobbe and Ryan Martens continue to lead the Feather staff in its mission to be a forum of student expression at Fresno Christian High School.

CHRISTMAS MUSIC CONCERT–
    The annual Christmas Concert will be held at Riverpark Bible Church at 7:00 P.M. on Monday, Dec. 10. Join the bands and choirs as they celebrate the joy of Christmas. The concert is free and all faculty, staff, parents and students are encouraged to attend. The doors open at 6:30 P.M.

CROSS COUNTRY STATE CHAMPIONSHIP–
    Senior Whitney Chessum competed in the 21st Cross Country State Championships at Woodward Park. There were 10 races of 5K (3.1 miles). Chessum came in 64th out of 169 girls from across the state. Congratulations Whitney and all first year cross country team members.

GIRLS’ AWARDS TENNIS LUNCHEON–
    The girls’ tennis luncheon will be on Wednesday from 12-1 P.M. in the GZ on Nov. 28. All tennis girls and their parents are invited to attend. Remember this is a half day and school is out at noon.

VOLUNTEERS NEEDED–
    Many organizations need special volunteers during the Christmas season. For a complete list, checkout the bulletin board.

1. Central California SPCA. Help with the gift wrapping event at Borders bookstore.
    2. Community Food Bank. Sort food for Christmas, 8 A.M. – Noon, Dec. 15.
    3. Fresno Art Museum. Help on Dec. 14 and 15.
    4. Fresno Philharmonic. Hand out programs, take tickets and greet patrons, Dec. 1.

More TBA.

FEATHER INTRODUCES PODCAST–
    The Feather Online initiated podcasting in October and currently features five different stories, including Claire’s (Kister, ’08) Corner. The latest episode, “It’s time to start thinking about college,” reveals seniors’ struggle with the application process. Podcasts regarding sports and music topics will appear in the future. The podcast team aims to create a new issue every 7-10 days. Claire’s Corner may be found on the online site or may be downloaded from iTunes. Use the search engine and type ‘thefeather.com’ to find Claire’s podcast.

ROCK THESE WALLS SUCCESS STORY–
    While administration is not in the concert business, they successfully hosted Christian contemporary musicians at the first Rock These Walls concert on Nov. 14. Over 1,028 attendees listened to Aaron Shust and Building 429 at Peoples Church. The concert series is meant to raise community awareness and funds for the new high school building. The second concert scheduled for spring will be announced at Christmas. Visit Rock These Walls for more information.

SPANISH CLUB MEETING–
    The next Spanish Club meeting will be during lunch on Friday, Nov. 30. The club will be making homemade tortillas. Future members, please turn in your membership forms and the $15 fee to advisor Beatriz Foth.

GOLF OR BOYS’ TENNIS–
    Students interested in participating in golf or boys’ tennis sign up sheets are in front of the office.

ADOPT A SOCCER PLAYER–
    Soccer players may be adopted for $25 or the entire team for $150. The package offers an adoption certificate and a personalized t-shirt. For an additional $10, a hooded sweatshirt will be included. Forms are available in front of the office.

ADVENTURE P.E. OFFERED–
    Once a month the physical education department will organize excursions not normally associated with PE classes on campus. The small class returned from a one day biking trip to Yosemite earlier in October. For more information e-mail Callisch at [email protected].

The next adventure PE offerings are:
    February- Rock climbing
    March- Scuba diving intro class
    April- Windsurfing
    May- Rafting

FEATHER ON A ROLL–
    While The Feather Online posts new articles each day on its home site (www.thefeather.com), reporters continue to be chosen to represent the National Edition online high school newspaper. For the 11th straight week, Feather Online articles have been posted on this national publication and this week, another article has appeared.
    Sarah Ingersol’s Retired pro trains cheer is currently honored in the Nov. 19 National Edition, and 15 different Feather reporters have appeared in total.

Currently 610 high schools across the United States, regardless of size, are participating in online newspaper production and eligible for this honor.

Readers can check out the article in the features sections of the National Edition or in The Feather Online. The Feather has placed articles in the first 11 issues of the National Edition. Since the first issue this year, 24 articles have now appeared in the weekly online newspaper.

The National Edition began publication in September 2003 and is sponsored by the American Society of Newspaper Editors.

USED CELL PHONES–
    Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) is gathering used cell phones to raise funds for their activities. They need at least 30 phones before they can receive credit. Please donate unused cell phones in the designated bin outside the office.

TUTORS NEEDED–
    High school students interested in tutoring see George Freeman in the junior high office as soon as possible. This is a paid position.

MOM’S IN TOUCH–
    Please join Mom’s In Touch prayer group every Friday from 8-9 A.M. in Room 204 in the Peoples Church building. If you have any questions, call MaryAnn Fujihara, (559) 298-7953.

DATES TO REMEMBER–

NOVEMBER–

November 28 – Half day schedule, teachers’ inservice

December 1- SAT and Subject Tests
    December 14 – Half day schedule, end of first semester
    December 15 – January 6 – Christmas vacation
    December 26- *SAT registration deadline for Jan. 26 test

January 7 – First day of second semester
    January 21 – No school, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
    January 26 – AcaDec Interview/Speech/Essay Competition, SAT and Subject Tests
    January 29- *SAT registration deadline for March 1 test
    January 30 – Half day schedule, teachers’ inservice

February 2 – AcaDec Super Quiz
    Febryary 2 – Softball dinner/auction
    February 8/9 – JH/HS drama production
    February 11 – No school, Lincoln’s birthday
    February 18 – No school, Presidents’ Day
    February 27 – Half day schedule, teachers’ inservice

March 1- SAT Test
    March 8 – FCS Auction
    March 14 – End of third quarter

* SAT deadlines: U.S. deadlines apply, late fees enforced