Thousands attend college fair

Over 100 colleges united to sell their campus to student prospects for the annual Fresno Area College Night at the Fresno Convention Center Exhibit Hall from 6?9 P.M. on Sept. 12.

The event attracted students grades 10-12 interested in learning more about college options and offers.

Alumnus Chris White, ’05, admissions representative for Fresno Pacific University, recommends visits to campuses and talking to other students in addition to attending college fairs.

“This event is useful to make students aware of their options,” White said. “California has one of the largest government provided education systems in the nation, so no matter cost, grades or location, there is a college for everyone.”

In previous years, between 4,000 and 5,000 students and parents attended the event, and the numbers remained consistant this year. Representatives from various colleges were stationed around the Convention center to answer any questions concerning their school.

“The representatives were willing to answer any questions about the dpartment i want to major in,” Samantha Krikorian, ’08, said. “Fresno State and Azusa were very helpful because they explained things about the campus and what they have to offer. I was swayed towards colleges with more informative and enthusiastic presentations.”

Most colleges offer a preview night or weekend, when juniors or seniors interested in applying have the opportunity to attend classes, eat in the cafeteria and stay overnight in the dorms. Others allow students to take a private tour of the campus and attend classes pertaining to the desired major.

“I hadn’t really narrowed down my college options,” Sammy Donald, senior at Buchanan High, said. “The college fair helped me condense my list to three schools; now I just have to go visit each campus to make my final decision.”

The event, hosted each year by the Fresno County Office of Education (FCOE), allows for inquiries about costs, admissions requirements, student housing, transfer policies and application deadlines.

“It has been my dream to attend Notre Dame,” Brian Weskamp, ’09, said. “Realistically, I will probably go somewhere in California, but the college fair last night motivated me to try harder.”

A list of Sept. college nights throughout the valley can be found at www.ucinthevalley.org. For those interested in a future at a private college, another fair will be held at the People’s Church Gym on Sept. 27.

For additional information, contact Associate Principal Jon Endicott in the high school office at 299-1695, ext. 5, or Jennifer Quinn, Special Projects Coordinator, at (559) 265-3014. For information on last year’s Christian College Night, see Kristina Palmer’s Oct 2, 2006, article, College Night insightful for attendees.