Atomic age hits home

For the last two years, U2 fans have asked many questions that are best described in a song title off their ’83 album, October; “Is That All?”

Apparently the band is answering no, as they just debuted a new compilation entitled How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb on Nov. 23.

“I was anticipating the release of the CD,” Nic Westburg, ’05, said. “I heard they were getting back to rock…my expectations were met because it was so original, yet at the same time, so very U2.”

The album soared to number one on charts in twenty-one different countries, including the United States, Britain and Ireland as of Dec. 9. The hit track, “Vertigo,” has remained on The Billboard Hot 100 for ten weeks and reached its peak position at number 31.

How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb brings back the sounds of the past that made U2 famous, while incorporating music with a new and fresh feel.

“The CD has that same edgy, rock vibe that you get with most everything they have produced in the past,” Westburg said. “However, they still manage to be soft when it counts.”

Evidently, the band has succeeded in meeting the high expectations of their fans.

“My expectations were exceeded,” Jon Endicott, vice principal, said. “The album goes back to their classic sounds of Joshua Tree, October and War…I have seen U2 twice in concert…They’ve always been one of my favorite bands.”

If the excitement from the album’s debut was not enough, the makers of Apple iTunes also partnered with U2 in order to release a special edition iPod autographed by the band. And to go a long with the U2 iPod, they offer “The Complete U2”; a set of every song produced by the group.

In other matters, the title of the album has left some pondering. A hint as to what this statement means lies on a piece of artwork inside the CD cover.

“A drawing shows the “m” on “bomb” crossed out,” Suzie Falk, ’06, said. “Reading ?How to Dismantle an Atomic Bob’. This is a reference to lead singer Bono’s father, who recently passed away after suffering from cancer.”

A song off their album, “Miracle Drug”, is a powerful ballad addressing Bono’s desire to save his father’s life. An excerpt from the song’s lyrics reads, “I’ve had enough of romantic love, I’d give it up… for a miracle drug.”

Amongst many deep, thought provoking songs, there are still pieces that simply speak out regarding the universal topic of love.

“My favorite song is “A Man and a Woman,” Endicott said. “Many of U2’s songs deal with spiritual searches, but this is just an old-fashioned love song. I like the line, ?No, I could never take a chance of losing love to find romance’.”

Fans urge others to listen to the album.

“I definitely recommend others to buy this CD,” Westburg said. “It’s so original and yet new…the songs are easy to relate to and the methods in which they write them are simply amazing.”

U2 will tour the U.S. in spring beginning in San Diego in March and will be in San Jose on April 9-10. However, those wanting to attend will be disappointed as tickets for the shows sold out in minutes the first day they went on sale.”~”www.u2.com”~”The release of U2’s new CD, “How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb” was recieved with excitment from many of the band’s fans.”~””~””~”U2

Billboard.com

Apple iTunes