Announcement: 2008-02-13

Written by: Claire Kister, Features editor

SCHEDULE FOR THE WEEK OF FEBRUARY 11-16, 2008

WEDNESDAY
    Girls’ soccer playoff game vs. Mendota, 3 P.M.

THURSDAY
    “Just For Girls” Bible study, 604, 11:35 A.M.
    California Scholarship Federation (CSF) meeting, lunch

FRIDAY
    Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) lunch huddle, 604, 11:30 A.M.
    G/B (JV/V) basketball vs. Caruthers, (H) 4:30/6/7:30 P.M.

SATURDAY
    JV/V cheer – FCC West Coast Competition @ Azusa Pacific – depart 4 A.M.

CSF MEETING
    All students involved in California Scholarship Federation (CSF) must attend the meeting during lunch in room 621, Feb. 14.

FCA LUNCH HUDDLE
    Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) next meeting features its non-newlywed game with Coach Fuller, McGowen, Gilmore and their wives. All interested athletes need to meet during lunch in room 604, Feb. 15. Students may bring their own lunch or purchase two slices of pizza for $3.

ALL LEAGUE SOCCER ATHLETES
    Congratulations to senior captains Michelle and Jennifer Rose for achieving First Team All-League in girls’ soccer this season. Senior Claire Kister and Quinn Livingston, ’10, were also recognized in receiving Second Team All-League.

Congratulations to junior captain Vincent Cabias and Tyler Chessum, ’11, for making First Team All-League in boys’ soccer this season. Senior captain Coleton Hutchins and Clay Alcorn, ’10, were also acknowledged and voted Second Team All-League.

SPANISH CLUB
    Spanish Club plans to meet again after being postponed due to intramurals. Members need to wear their club t-shirt and bring their second semester dues to the next lunch meeting in room 603, Feb. 15.

FINANCIAL AID WORKSHOP
    Parent Support Network (PSN) will host an evening for seniors and parents to learn more about financial aid, Feb. 25. This is designed to assist students in the process of completing the Free Application for Federal Student AID (FAFSA). The event will take place in room 603 at 7 P.M. All college bound seniors are encouraged to attend.

GPA VERIFICATION:
    The high school will send in the GPA Verification Forms for each senior at FC. This information is needed for the Cal Grant.

SENIOR YEARBOOK ADS
    Senior yearbook friends ads are due on Feb. 22. There is only a limited number of pages left. It is first come, first served. A full page ad costs $125 while a half page IS $75. Turn the photos and money into adviser Molly Sargent who will give further instructions.

LOST ITEMS
    Check out the lost and found table on the ground floor of bldg. 6 for any mislaid items.

ACADEMIC DECATHLON TEAM WINS DIVISION II CHAMPIONSHIP
    The campus Academic Decathlon team scored 34,401 points to capture the Division II championship in the 2008 Fresno County event, Feb. 2. Eight of the nine FC members won medals! Over 20 Fresno County teams competed in the competition. Firebaugh High finished 2nd with 33,971 points and Selma High took 3rd with 32,696 points. Edison High won Division I with 44,472 points to win its 12th straight championship. Check back during the week for an article outlining FC’s winning day.

CONGRATULATIONS LAUBER
    Senior Brittany Lauber received over 7,700 points in the Academic Decathlon competition, Feb. 2. Her total score placed her 11th out of 380 decathletes. Lauber now holds the FC record for most points earned, surpassing alumnus Will Hierholzer, ’07, by approximately 500 points. Lauber also received a $300 savings bond for her high scores.

KNEEFEL NOMINATED FOR AWARD
    Academic Decathlon member and Editor-in-chief of The Feather Online, Mary Kneefel, was nominated for the Jerry Dotson Award, named after a long-time decathlon judge. Three other students were also nominated. According to The Fresno Bee, Dotson nominees are decathlon students who demonstrate dedication, teamwork, humor and honesty.

Other nominees are Edison High senior Luis Hernandez, Kevin Chen of University High and Jordan Short of Hallmark Charter. Read the Bee’s Feb. 2 article, “Academic contests to feature best, brightest” for more information.

Hernandez was awarded the Dotson award and received a $500 savings bond and a plaque. Kneefel was an alternate at the Academic Decathlon competition at Fresno State, Feb. 2. She gave up her guaranteed spot to another member whose practice scores were higher than hers.

INTRAMURALS–
    Double badminton intramurals will commence on Feb. 5. The matches take place during lunch in the PC gym. Sign up in room 608.

ANAHEIM JOURNALISM CONVENTION–
    The Journalism Education Association and National Scholastic Press Association hosts the Spring National High School Journalism Convention at the Anaheim Marriott. The convention offers more than 200 learning sessions, workshops, and seminars in regards to journalism from April 17-20. Deadlines for early action registration is March 27. Contact adviser Greg Stobbe at [email protected] for more information about this event.

BOOK OR WALKING BUDDIES–
    Those interested in helping the students at Pinedale Elementary School may sign up for Book or Walking Buddies in front of the office. This program offers assistance to students who need help with reading or fitness health. Students who choose to participate must commit their time and effort every Tuesday afternoon during chapel and lunch.

NEW ONLINE EDITION–
    After a nine month rewrite, The Feather Online is pleased to announce an updated version of the high school newspaper, Jan. 23. While small glitches may still appear throughout the first week, Andrew Rurik, Webmaster, believes the switch over will be seamless.

NATIONAL EDITION HONORS CONTINUE–
    The last two weeks have featured three National Edition articles. This week (Feb. 11) Brittany Shaffer’s column, “Divorce deepens loneliness” is the lead opinion piece. This is the fifth time this semester Feather articles have been chosen.

Last week two outdoor activity articles were selected to the National Edition. Benjamin Dang’s Feb. 1 article, “Spelunkers explore cavern, face fears”, and Brittany Stobbe’s Jan. 28 article, “Skate under Half Dome”, both appeared in the National Edition for the week of Feb. 4.

Currentley, 23 different Feather reporters and 44 articles have appeared on the National Edition since August 2007.

Over 658 high schools across the United States, regardless of size, participate in online newspaper production and are eligible for this honor. While The Feather Online posts new articles each day on its home site (www.thefeather.com), reporters continue to be chosen to represent the National Edition online high school newspaper.

Readers can check out the article in the features, entertainment, opinions and student life sections of the National Edition or in The Feather Online.

The National Edition began publication in September 2003 and is sponsored by the American Society of Newspaper Editors (www.asne.org).

FENTON’S MATH LAB–
    Michael Fenton, math teacher, now offers assistance to students in room 606 Tuesday through Friday during lunch and after school.

ATTENTION STUDENTS–
    A list of all students who have not bought a yearbook are posted on the office window. Those whose names are crossed out have purchased yearbooks and those whose names still remain have not purchased one. If anyone is still interested in purchasing the yearbook, make a check payable to FCS for $80 and turn it into Molly Sargent in room 621 or the office.

PSAT SCORES–
    PSAT scores are now available to all students who took the exam in October. Parents must come by the office to receive the scores or may send a note granting the student permission to pick them up. For questions concerning the PSAT, contact Jon Endicott, associate principal.

REGISTRATION FOR ALL MALES AGE 18–
    All men must register with Selective Service when they turn 18. Those who fail to register may be denied many important opportunities such as student loans, government jobs, a driver’s license in most states, and citizenship for male immigrants. Go online to register: Selective Service System.

GOLF OR BOYS’ TENNIS–
    Students interested in participating in golf or boys’ tennis sign up sheets are in front of the office.

ADVENTURE P.E. OFFERED–
    Once a month the physical education department will organize excursions not normally associated with PE classes on campus. The small class returned from a one day biking trip to Yosemite earlier in October. For more information e-mail Callisch at [email protected] as soon as possible for the spelunking activity.

The next adventure PE offerings are:
    February – Rock climbing
    March – Scuba diving intro class
    April – Windsurfing
    May – Rafting

TUTORS NEEDED–
    High school students interested in tutoring see George Freeman in the junior high office as soon as possible. This is a paid position.

MOM’S IN TOUCH–
    Please join Mom’s In Touch prayer group every Friday from 8-9 A.M. in Room 204 in the Peoples Church building. If you have any questions, call MaryAnn Fujihara, (559) 298-7953.

DATES TO REMEMBER–

FEBRUARY–

February 11 – No school, Lincoln’s birthday
    February 14- Valentine’s Day
    February 18 – No school, Presidents’ Day
    February 27 – Half day schedule, teachers’ in-service

MARCH–

March 1- SAT Test
    March 8 – FCS Auction
    March 14 – End of third quarter
    March 15-24- No school, Easter vacation
    March 29- Night of the Stars

APRIL–

April 1- *SAT registration deadline for May 3 test
    April 2- Half day schedule, Teacher’s In-service

April 9-12- Choir trip to Seattle

April 14-18- SAT10/Otis Lennon testing
    April 16-19- Publications to NSPA National Convention, Anaheim

April 23- Half day schedule, Teacher’s In-service

MAY–

May 3- Sadie Hawkins
    May 5-6- Drama: The Man Behind the Mask
    May 9-10- Drama: The Man Behind the Mask

May 21-23- Half day schedule
    May 23- End of second semester
    – FCHS graduation
    * SAT deadlines: U.S. deadlines apply, late fees enforced