Community service impacts kids

Students often fail to earn 5-10 hours of community service despite multiple opportunities.

Various fundraisers such as literacy fairs and Christmas functions provide students with the chance to help Children’s Hospital Central California. Volunteers have already served by setting up tables and chairs for the annual Harvest Ball on Sept. 13.

The Harvest Ball took place at the Clovis Rodeo grounds on Sept.15, and the annual Bandit Bash is scheduled for Sept. 27. This activity includes games and food. Participants helping with the event receive wristbands in recognition of their role.

?I volunteered time for Children?s Hospital because it gave me community service hours and a chance to help out,? Marielle Desrosiers, ’08, said. ?Some of my friends went with me so I had a lot of fun.?

Staff members encourage students to get involved for both personal and educational gain.

?Teri Amerine (Director of Sustaining Funds) contacted me and asked me if I could help get students involved with helping a premier hospital,? Jon Endicott, associate principal, said. ?This is a great opportunity for students to get community service hours.?

Student volunteers receive high school credit while serving those in need.

?I think that it is important that we give to sick children,? Olyvia Franklin, ?10, said. ?If I were in the position of one of the children I would be happy to know that people cared.?

Many underclassmen believe five hours is a sufficient amount of service per semester.

?I think that this school is doing a good job of helping Children?s Hospital,? Josh Smith, ?11, said. ?I don?t know what else we could do to help, because we have already contributed so much to them. So, if I had to say if we were doing enough or not, I would say that we are.?

Some students feel community service participation needs improvement.

?I think that maybe we can do more to support Children?s Hospital,? Carson Hopper, ?08, said. ?If I had more time, I would probably help by informing people about the need for volunteers at the hospital and I know sick children at Children?s Hospital.?

Amerine organizes these events and believes volunteers have the power to make an impact.

?It is so important for members of our community to support the non-profit agencies as they fill a very necessary gap in service to the poor, needy, aged, and sick,? Amerine said. ?If we all help just a little bit, we can come together and change lives of many.?

For more information, call Amerine at (559) 353-7144 or visit Kelly Gong’s March 29, article, Children’s hospital hosts CSF.