Infographic: Leap Year

Leap year occurs every four years plus more interesting facts. Infographic by: Brooklyn Tweedy.

Leap year comes around every four years and many do not know about the reasons behind this unique calendar phenomenon. We wonder, if you one of the four million born on leap day. do you feel gypped?

Julius Ceasar was an Ancient Ruler of the Roman Empire. He created the leap year to keep our calendars aligned because, people slowly realized that a year is actually 365.24 days.

With this extra day happening only once every four years, it leads to low statistics of being born that day. The rate is, one person in every 1,461 people have the chance of born on leap day.

Some cultures, like the catholic church, didn’t add an extra day. Instead, they extend Feb. 24 to be 48 hours. This was related to several reasons connecting to Easter, Saint’s Day and more.

How many people have been born on leap day? Well, that number is about 4 million out of over 7 billion people on Earth.

To read more from The Feather visit 10 noteworthy events you won’t want to miss in 2024