The Feather expands touring to Brooklyn: Day 3

FC students journey across the Brooklyn Bridge and visit The Met museum

For more than 25 years Feather journalism teams have traveled to the New York participating in the Columbia Scholastic Press Association’s Spring Journalism Conference. This year, 16 students attend the 100th anniversary of distinguished journalism education while also teaching six sessions. The Feather has been honored with a national recognition as a Digital Crown recipient for the 2023-24 year. This is Day 3 as the team tours the Big Apple during the week of March 9-16. 

Day three kicks off with Feather students navigating the streets of New York City to get to their first destination. Subway routes proved to be a hindrance when early morning trains began to malfunction. Their time of arrival was progressively pushed back, but Advisor Kori James quickly rerouted the group and led them to their first stop: The Metropolitan Museum of Art.

The Met offers a rich, cultural experience and showcases the story of human creativity over the years. The museum has more than six million visitors from all over to enjoy the beauty of art. The Met is to New York as the Louvre is to Paris, meaning it is certainly an experience visitors don’t want to miss. Julia Castiglione, photo editor for The Feather, acknowledges the importance of art in society.

Many people come to The Met to peruse different exhibits featuring art from around the world. (Julia Castiglione)

“The Met reminds me of history and how different cultures throughout the world connect together,” Castiglione said. “It also inspires me to appreciate the finer things in life and truly gain a deeper appreciation for our history.”

Locals have the option to pay whatever amount they wish for entry. Non-local visitors are required to pay between $17 (students) and $30 (adults), which seems like a small price to pay for savoring such world-renowned art.

The Met is so vast that both new and returning visitors are strongly advised to pick up a map upon arrival. The main building spans over 2 million square feet of floor space and houses more than 2,000 separate galleries. These galleries feature a wide range of exhibits, from weaponry spanning different historical periods to collections of Asian, American, and Egyptian art, and even musical instruments from various eras. Familiar and noteworthy pieces within this museum vary widely, ranging from fragments of Egyptian pyramids to paintings by European masters such as Van Gogh and Rembrandt. One group of students visited the new exhibit, featuring Harlem Renaissance art. 

Within this museum, one can observe the history of humanity, particularly how humans continuously process learning, growing, and ever-evolving toward improvement. The museum offers everything imaginable and has notably made significant efforts to preserve and understand its pieces. 

In the afternoon, The Feather team made a pit stop at Peaky Barista for a quick snack before walking the Brooklyn Bridge. Students loaded up on gourmet coffee and croissants, and snapped pictures with the manager. They then made their way to Juliana’s Pizza for a late lunch.

The Peaky Barista creates a variety of pastries and coffee straight from family recipes. (Julia Castiglione)

One of the most memorable landmarks to see in New York City is the Brooklyn Bridge. The idea for the bridge was introduced by engineer John Augustus Roebling in 1867. During this period, many bridges were failing under heavy loads and extreme winds. This bridge was set to be the very first steel suspension bridge, measuring about 1.1 miles. 

Before construction could even begin, Roebling was fatally injured while taking final compass readings on the East River. A boat was dropped on his foot, and he died from tetanus three weeks later. His son Washington A. Roebling took over as chief engineer. 

Construction of the Brooklyn Bridge was a perilous task. In order to form an extremely solid foundation, the workers used airtight chambers, called caissons, that would sink to the bottom of the river and allow mud and boulders to be excavated without water bringing in more debris. When they finished, these boxes were filled with concrete.

Over 10,000 pedestrians walk the Brooklyn Bridge on a daily basis. (Julia Castiglione)

The laborers suffered from the pressure of being below the water. The hot, dense air causes them to have blinding headaches, bloody noses, and slowed their heartbeats. In addition, many contracted what they called “the bends.” Symptoms included excruciating joint pain, convulsions, paralysis, speech impediments, and sometimes death.

So much blood, sweat, and pain went into building the masterpiece that is the Brooklyn Bridge. The opening on May 24, 1883, connected New York and Brooklyn for the first time and marked a beautiful moment in history. From Spiderman to Enchanted, live-action to cartoon, It has become an iconic setting in the cinematic industry. Copy Editor Danielle Arndt, ’26, expresses how seeing the bridge made an emotional impact on her.

“It was so marvelous to not only see the bridge but walk where several of my favorite fictional heroes have been,” Arndt said. “It felt like a childhood dream come true to see this place in all its glory.”

The dedication was led by President Chester A. Arthur and New York Governor Grover Cleveland. John Roebling’s wife, Emily Roebling, was given the first ride over the bridge. After that, the bridge became a beloved tourist attraction for pedestrians to walk across and aided in quicker transportation. Many were in awe of the stability of the bridge. Fun fact: On May 17, 1884, P.T. Barnum led 21 elephants over the Brooklyn Bridge to show that it was stable. 

To end the night, the Feather team enjoys Tony award-winning musical, Hadestown. This show combines the mythic tales of young lovers Orpheus and Eurydice, and King Hades and his wife Persephone. Following the couples to the underworld and back, while also conveying deeper messages about the struggles of humanity, poverty, and how history repeats itself. The show uses a mix of modern American folk music and New Orleans-inspired jazz to move the story along.

Sanjay Stephen, a senior journalist on The Feather, shares his elation at getting to experience this musical live. 

“Hadestown was so visually and substantially entertaining,” Stephen said. “From the setup to the raw talent of the actors, it was by far my favorite musical I’ve seen.”

Tune in tomorrow to read more about the NYC Feather team’s adventures. A Hadestown review will be coming soon in Arts & Entertainment.

For more from The Feather visit Athlete Spotlight: Izzy Adams overcomes surprising injury or The Feather’s legacy is here to stay.