Candy gram sales benefit reading program

Nervous students often rush to find the perfect gift at the last moment for their “special someone” as Valentines Day approaches. This presented an opportunity for the junior high to raise money for the Wise Old Owl Reading Club by selling candy grams. Over the years they have raised from $150-$800. While many have not heard of the candy gram sales, the junior high has been selling them for ten years.

“What are candy grams?” Kim Zurist, ’02, questioned. “Are those like a singing telegram with candy?”

Candy grams are an assortment of cookies and candy placed together in a decorated bag. On the outside of the bag an option is presented to leave a personalized note for the unexpected recipient. Candy grams were purchased for $1 in the junior high office. They will be delivered during eighth period on Feb. 14.

“It’s like killing two birds with one stone,” Afshin Saffarzadeh, ?05, said “You are getting something for your girlfriend and you are spending money on a good cause. You don’t even have to go shopping.”

Various students hope to be remembered on this special day. Candy grams are a popular way to show thoughtfulness towards another person.

“I wish someone would buy me a candy gram,” Lauren Tayler, ’03, said. “They are really cool.”

A candy gram could be received from a friend or from an admirer. Some will even purchase one for themselves

“If no one sends me a candy gram this year,” Nick Jones, ?02, said, “then I am going to send one to myself.”

Some people seem to feel that purchasing a candy gram would not be enough to impress their significant other yet others disagree with that assumption.

“It’s not what’s inside the candy gram,” Oliver France, ?02, said. “It’s the thought behind it that counts.”

Dawn Steele, ’03, thinks that candy grams are a good idea. She said that it is a good way to get the kids more involved in their community. She thinks that it is great that Fresno Christian can find a way to reach out to other people.

“As a Christian school we really need to reach out to the community,” Steele said. “It is too bad that the junior high came up with the idea first.”

Students were required to stay after school until 5 p.m. on various days during the sales push. Hallie Rojeski and Terri Edmunds continue to co-sponsor the project.
“I am very proud of the kids this year,” Rojeski said. “They have worked very hard to get these done considering the huge demand.”

The students will use the money raised and go to Borders to buy the books for the younger students. Then they will personally take the books to them.

“It was really fun making the candy grams,” Mikey Wills, ’06, said. “We get to have pizza when we are all done with the candy grams.”

The junior high has been selling the candy grams for a week and sales ended Feb. 8.