Famiglia backs Italian eatery

While walking to Gold’s Gym for another evening of work, I stumbled across an unfamiliar restaurant. GiGi’s Cucina Italiano, located on the corner of Friant and Fort Washington in the Riverview Shopping Center, instantly grabbed my attention.

Decorated with a simple plant and a black-framed chalkboard dislaying the opening times, I was drawn to the entrance as a large crowd waited to be seated.

GiGi?s has been open for a single week yet the rush of customers sparked my curiosity. Owner Pino Borelli, a first generation American, named his restaurant after his kids, Giovanni and Gulliani.

Borelli obviously planned GiGi’s with a mind full of the Italian traditions, famiglia, alimento ed amore – family, food, and love. The eatery’s warm interior, with the soothing music of Italian opera singer, Andre Bocelli, playing in the background, gave Gigi’s a piece of Italy.

GiGi?s offers both great food and outstanding service. It is patterened simply and elegantly, with rich colors, a fireplace, and cherry wood furnishings giving this first-class eatery a homey feel.

With tan tablecloths to match the walls and fine tile floors, the restaurant was obviously planned with consistency, presenting GiGi’s customers with a posh design.

I walked in and was greeted by two cheerful hostesses ready to seat me. As we sat, I observed the cutout ceiling with edges displaying displaying the names every Italian city painted in black font, giving potential travelers the opportunity to point out their ideal location spot.

On the tables lay white folded napkins with a rose and one candle in the center of the tables.

GiGi?s lunch menu seems to offer every Italian dish imaginable, from almond-crusted tilapia to homemade fettuccine alfredo.

It was difficult ordering because everything sounded delicious. With prices varying from around $5 to $35, my mother and I chose what catered to our price range. We decided to share a salad and pasta, our anticipation heightening as we noticed other customers’ generous portions.

We first ordered what our server recommended: the ahi tuna carpaccio. Unfortunately, the waiter returned to inform us that their shipment of fresh fish would not arrive from LA until the next day. Instead, we settled for a side salad with Italian dressing and lobster ravioli. The waitress also brought ricotta cheese, complimentary of the chef.

The $4 salad was dressed with the traditional thinly-sliced tomatoes, shaved onions, and small pieces of roasted peppers. The dressing was light and left us wanting more. Due to the low intensity of the dressing, we may have overeaten on the bread trio (dipped in olive oil with oregano flakes).

The lobster raviolis were split, with five pasta squares per plate. The perfectly-cooked meal proved to be pleasing to the stomach. The thin raviolis were stuffed with crab, saut