Safety, health issues work custodians

Many remain oblivious to the drudgery provided by undercover workers. Custodians and maintenance men aim to provide schools with a sanitary and safe atmosphere.

“I actually notice the custodians and maintenance men,” Brian Weskamp, ’09, said. “I love how they keep the school clean and I really appreciate what they do for us.”

Custodian Miguel Chapa has worked for five years at this campus. He spends five days a week, or 40 hours, cleaning bathrooms, setting up tables and chairs, cleaning cobwebs and other custodial tasks.

“I continue because I have to provide for my family and pay rent,” Chapa said. “I also have to be responsible; I enjoy doing my job but sometimes it is hard working with others. When the hard times come I trust in God to make things better.”

Sometimes Chapa and coworkers receive discipline for incorrect doing activities, however, they still strive to assist people through his work.

“My favorite time working is when I am helping the handicap and those who need my help,” Chapa said. “I like to open doors for people and put a smile on their faces. I always try to be nice to people and try to lift their spirits if they feel sad.”

Away from campus, Chapa spends time with his wife and son.

“I like to hang out with my son,” Chapa said, “we go to the movies and do things he likes to do. We also go to the arcade and play music together.”

Chapa is an active member in his church worship band.

“I like to meet new people,” Chapa said, “I also like to see people or myself helping new coworkers. I like to help them by showing them how to do things. When I am enjoying myself and others are enjoying themselves we are all more relaxed.”

Along with custodians who help clean, there are maintenance men lead repairs on campus.

“As a maintenance man I repair broken furniture, fix electrical problems, fix the plumbing in restrooms and around the campus,” Larry Hyde, maintenance worker, said. “I also set up what needs to be set up for sport events and occasionally I fix lockers.”

Hyde began work on campus for a year and a half, because of the Christian atmosphere and felt welcomed by other staff members.

“I continue to work at this campus, because I like the fellowship I have with the employees,” Hyde said. “I have also got an opportunity to do other things rather than maintenance work. I am also a custodian lead on Sundays.”

Hyde does not always cooperate with colleagues, but attains support from his wife and seven kids.

“I like to spend time with my 13 year old son, who is active in sports,” Hyde said. “I enjoy helping my son by playing football, basketball and baseball with him. The important things in my life are my family and the relationship I have with Jesus. My family keeps me going in life when I have ups and downs. I know that they are always there when I need them.”

For more information on Chapa contact him at (559) 322-6634 or call Hyde at (559) 355-1300.

“I think a lot of students do not respect them as much as they should,” Jennifer Lewis, ’10, “They keep the campus and church clean and they work really hard. I appreciate their work even though we don’t stop to think about their time and effort.”