Senior swims for scholarship

Making it in less than five seconds, Ashley Chavez, ’08, swims to the finish line beating the Individual Medley (IM) record by 0.03 seconds to win the gold.

Chavez thrives on feelings of accomplishment. Since her interview in March, Chavez added six medals to her collection, totaling 15.

?I feel so much better about swimming,” Chavez said. “It’s easier for me to give it my all and go as hard as I can when I compete. I also feel better about my swimming abilities and I am less intimidated by the other swimmers I compete with.?

Chavez appears as a more aggressive and competitive athlete according to her swim coach at Kerman High, Paul Torres.

?She has really grown to be much more confident,” Torres said. ?If she keeps up this kind of intensity, she is going to have a lot more additions to her trophy case.?

Under Torres’ leadership, Chavez represents Kerman?s swim team since this campus does not offer the proper facilities.

Chavez commutes about an hour to Kerman during swim season for practice three days a week.

?I don?t really mind the 45 minute car trips,? Chavez said. ?It gives me time to visualize what I am going to do and how hard I am going to practice that day. In the end, it?s beneficial.?

Chavez received first place and the record in the 100 IM at the championships in Chowchilla on July 28-29. Her time of 1.08 seconds beat the existing one by three seconds.

The IM competition consists of all four strokes: the butterfly, breaststroke, backstroke and freestyle.

Chavez currently hopes to attend Stanford University in the fall. She plans to get a bachelor degree in accounting.

?When I went to a college convention I asked around about universities that had swim teams and swim scholarships,” Chavez said. “Stanford really caught my eye. I have to either go over there (Stanford) and swim for them or they could possibly come to one of my meets and watch me compete.?

Chavez conditions and practices most of the year for the upcoming season even though it starts in April.

?I admire Ashley for her dedication to the swimming,? Marielle Derosiers, ?08. ?Not only does she practice a lot, but she also competes with other schools, which would push my comfort zone. She makes me want to go and do something passionately.?