2024 Election: Heated Rematch

Upcoming election piques student interest in political happenings

Americans are watching, polls are rising, and votes are being tallied in preparation for the 2024 election. This year’s election may feel familiar to Americans who participated in the 2020 election because the same candidates may be in the mix, but there are some definite differences to note.

On Nov. 3, 2020 Joseph R. Biden Jr. was elected as the United States 46th president. President Biden was the designated Democratic presidential candidate and ran alongside his vice president and former California Senator Kamala Harris. President Biden’s biggest competitor was Republican presidential candidate, Donald John Trump. Biden defeated Trump 306-232 in electoral the college votes; Biden managed to have a four-point margin in the popular vote. On Nov. 5, 2024, Trump and Biden will go for round two, battling for the Oval Office this November.

Although this is a redo of the previous election with the same two candidates, it still looks different from previous years. Many voting Americans have witnessed and participated in numerous interim elections, however, this one has proved to be unconventional. Victor Davis Hanson is a historian and professor at Stanford University and California State University, Fresno. Hanson has an extensive background in politics and warfare. He speaks on the variance of this election compared to others he has observed.

2024 election will see a rematch between Donald Trump and Jo Biden (Emma Kaden)

This time there is an attack on the processes,” Hanson said, “removing candidates from the ballot, using the courts to interfere with elections by local and state prosecutors’ indictments, trying to pack the court or end the electoral college and filibuster, etc.

Rematches are incredibly rare, especially since this is the 7th presidential rematch and the first one since the 1950s. The last presidential rematch was in 1956 between Dwight D. Eisenhower and Adlai Stevenson, where Eisenhower beat Stevenson for the second time. Not only was the last presidential rematch decades ago, but so was the first democratic convention. The first democratic convention was held in Baltimore, MD in 1832. The democratic convention is a meeting with the democratic party, where delegates select the presidential and vice presidential delegates. This year’s  Democratic convention will be held at a convention center in Chicago, IL from Aug. 19-22, 2024.

To make the process easier, there are three separate ways to vote. The first way to vote is by mail. Voting by mail is allowed in eight states and one territory: California, Colorado, Hawaii, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Vermont, Washington, and the District of Columbia.

The second way to vote is in person. County officials offer early voting in their offices and more locations before election day. If you’re voting last minute, you can also vote at the polls on election day. On election day, polls are open from 7:00 a.m.- 8:00 p.m.

Voting is not legal until the age of 18, however, it is still vital for underage high school students to be informed. Students have opinions and need to be educated in the affairs of our country so they are prepared to vote when their time comes. Sophomore Tabitha Peters explains her reasoning as to why she thinks voting is crucial.

City of Clovis council members who help make decisions for the city. The Feather

“I think voting is very important because it allows us to show our voice and pick our elective officials,” Peters said. “It’s important for high schoolers to be educated in voting since we are the future generation and we do have voices.” 

Just as students have lifted their voices to address the voting problems, so has City of Clovis Manager John Holt. Holt was the City Clerk for a decade, before taking the position as City Manager. He states his reasoning as to why young adults should be endowed in elections and voting.

“Elections are the single most important thing a young person can do,” Holt said. “I find it sad the percentage of young adults between the ages of 18-24 who aren’t active in politics and that don’t vote, considering the importance of it.”

As someone who is highly engaged in politics and voting, Hansen talks about the significance of students participation and engagement in this years election. He gives his advice to influence student involvement.

“Get attached to a political campaign as an intern or volunteer, read good news sources like the Wall Street Journal,” Hansen said, “Listen to podcasts, follow elections.”

Along with the lack of voting by many young voters, there are numerous other societal issues that need revamping. These dilemmas include: the fentanyl crisis, inflation, foreign wars, border security, tuition costs and abortion. Fresno Christian High School students participated in an election poll based on the six main societal issues to see which one students were more concerned about.

Infographic with information from Fresno Christian’s high school student’s survey answers. The Feather

There were a total of 171 votes with inflation having the most votes (106). Junior Tyler Maxey was one of the many who expressed concern in the rising of prices and lowering value of money.

“I will be voting when I turn 18 and I hope that whichever president wins can improve the crazy high inflation,” Maxey said. “There is a lot of regulation and I hope the next president can do some deregulation and make the inflation less severe.” 

As inflation is on the rise, budgeting has become another casualty of the high prices. City Manager, Holt, expresses his concern on the matter. 

“We have seen a significant increase in our revenues over the past five years that has completely tapped off,” Holt said. “We are dependent on sales tax revenues to fund our police and fire here in Clovis, but many shoppers are starting to shop online, which causes a lower cut of sales tax. Expenses are growing faster than revenues, due to the fast increase in taxes and inflation.” 

Inflation has increased by 4.1 percent over the past four years and 3.1 percent more just this year. With the high rates, Biden and Trump have plans to try and counteract the insane tax prices and improve our nation. Biden’s plan has promised to protect Americans’ democracy, pass a federal law to codify the right to an abortion into law, preserve the country’s international alliances and agreements.

Trump and his loyalists have a sweeping transformation plan. His plan is to continue tighten immigration through the Southern border, put in place a travel ban and to use more White House control over the Justice Department in order to right America.

As a citizen of our country, it is important to stay informed and follow news that is factual. Although it is hard to find unbiased news sources, there are still some out there. Victor Hanson does a lot of research and readings from numerous sources, but he gives students a recommendation for superb news.

Real Clear Politics each morning provides couplets of conservative and liberal takes on the same subject, and has all the recent polls and current podcasts and videos.”

If you are able to, vote, our country needs to hear your voice.

What do you think are the biggest societal concerns? Let us know in the comments!

To read more from the Feather, visit Alumnus Josiah Ford collapses on a run or Class of 2024 signs out.