Senior manages multiple jobs

After 12 years of vocal exercises, senior Kim Swift continues to raise her voice.

“My mom started my singing career and she loved to sing,” Swift said. “She was always too nervous to perform and she loved watching me sing. I continue to sing because I love it. It makes me happy, it relaxes me, and its something I am good at.”

While singing for the New America Singers for 4 years, Swift has traveled all over the world, including California, Thailand, Hong Kong, the Philippines, Australia, Tasmania and Singapore.

Swift also participates in ensemble and will attend the Fresno Pacific Choral festival on Oct. 18.

“Kim is doing great and definitely a leader in the alto section,” Aaron Bryan, ensemble director, said. “She brings in a lot of experience because she was in a singing group and is one of our veteran singers. Kim also brings a lot of comic relief.”

When Swift is not singing she remains active in school sports such as track and field; her sister’s passion for the sport influenced Swift in the 4th grade.

“My sister started me in track and she was always amazing at it,” Swift said. “When I was little we traveled all over to watch her meets. It always made me want to be the fastest and the best just like her.”

Unlike the majority of students on campus, Swift pays part of her school tuition. She works two jobs during the week to afford tuition fees.

“It is definitely a struggle working two jobs,” Swift said. “It is not really fun having to come up with all the extra money for tuition, but it is definitely worth it in the end. It is also very self-inspiring knowing that I can do it.”

One of Swift’s two jobs is at Sweet River Bar and Grill where she works five days a week as an expo. She prepares food and waiters tables requiring her to work five to six hours a night.

“I also work at Peoples Church six days a week helping to run Team Ministries.” Swift said. “I help put together the children’s sports programs for the teams and coaches. I work under Vanessa Markarian and make sure everything runs smoothly on Saturdays for sports. During the week I work anywhere from four to six hours.”

Peers believe the responsibility attached to a job teaches numerous life skills.

“Kim is always busy,” Carson Hopper, ’08, said. “Having two jobs in high school could be hard but it also builds a lot of responsibility.”

Swift’s ability to ration her time assists in her attempts to balance her schedule.