Juniors recreate That 70s Show

Despite two years of experience in building a homecoming float, the junior class faces difficulty to unite. A decrease in volunteers and limited amount of time proves as a struggle for the leadership team.

Kevin Damm, ?09, vice president, explains the difficulties of holding float meetings at his house.

?It?s tough hosting the meetings,? Damm said. “I have to do most of the work because it is at my house. I am surprised how our float has come together despite a low turnout. It would have been a lot less stressful if we had more people.”

The junior class was able to base their float off the televised comedy, That 70’s Show, after the seniors selected Lost.

“It is pretty easy to make the float similar to That 70’s Show,” John Dinsdale, ’09, said. “The show has been on for awhile and we know what to do with it.”

Junior Katie White finds float building easier after two years of experience.

?The biggest problem building the floats in the past was because people kept changing their minds,? White said. “This wastes time that we can?t afford to lose. This year we aren?t as scatter-brained as we have been in the past.?

Some juniors express no interest in float meetings after past experiences.

?I went to a float meeting freshman year and it was terrible,? Taylor Motte, ?09, said. ?It was so boring. There were only four people there so I felt stupid for going.?

Despite the obstacles, the students who participated believe construction brought the group together.

?When we go and work on the float we seem to leave all of our differences behind us,? Abby Schoettler, ?09, said, ?so we can all work together without all the stupid fights.”

Schoettler finds the experience more important than the overall placing of the floats.

“It?s exciting, defiantly, it?s a challenge of course but still amazing,? Schoettler said. ?Being on the float is like a rush, and you get a sense of accomplishment; and even if we don?t get first place everyone still seems to enjoy the float.?

For other classes’ progress check out Austin Ward’s Oct. 12, article, Freshmen flash badges, Alyssa Quenzer’s Oct. 16, article, Sophomores survive deadline, or Jennifer Sherfield’s Oct. 17, article, Seniors seek second consecutive win.