Crown coerces dance, kings

The introduction of Michael Jackson’s Thriller conjured five potential kings to the stage of Ground Zero to bust their moves in the annual pageant on Oct. 19.

Seniors Andrew Biehler, Ryan Brunn, Benjamin Dang, David Fujihara and Coleton Hutchins vied for votes in a battle of dance, knowledge and stomach strength.

?When Coleton was singing ‘White and Nerdy’, it was hilarious,? Melissa Foth, ?08, said. ?I never thought he?d actually do a thing like that, because of his personality. I look at him not as a rapper, not listening to that kind of music. Soulja boy was amazing I kind of know the dance so it was amazing to see; I was singing along.?

To follow the homecoming theme of current TV shows, leadership created spin-offs after Fear Factor, So You Think You Can Dance and changed “Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader?” to “Are You Dumber than You Think You are?”

The pageant commenced with a slideshow of baby pictures, followed by a bashing video. After the traditional dance, the kings attempted to coax the queens with pick-up lines.

“I was most nervous about the pickup lines,” Dang said. “The sardines and pudding wasn’t that bad because I’m used to having pie in my face during VBS at my church. The dance was an out of body experience-you make up the moves and try to match them with the music.”

In the campus’ version of Fear Factor, the nominees dug with their faces through a community pudding bowl, hiding sardines. A game show quizzed the candidates on four topics: queens, kings, pop culture and FC history. The student body was then left to crown their king after an encore dance.

?I voted for David,? Kelsie Morgan, ?11, said, ?I thought it was funny, because his dance moves were off the wall. I think the pageant will be awesome next year.?

The kings met for a total of six hours to perfect their techniques. They got “jiggy with it” to Thriller, Crank That, Conga, Kung Fu Fighting, White and Nerdy, Play that Funky Music and Wannabe.

?I was thankful for the opportunity to be nominated,? Biehler said. “It doesn?t matter to me who wins, I?d just like to have fun. When else do I get the chance to dance in front of the whole school? I?ve known the other candidates since first grade except for Ryan, so I?m friends with them all.?

Unlike the queens, who will wait for the results until halftime, leadership crowned King Brunn immediately following lunch.

“It was nice to know that people chose me to be their king,” Brunn said. “For future king candidates, be happy that your class nominated you and risk being embarrassed, because it is a lot of fun.”