Announcement: 2010-09-17

by Austin Ward, Editor-in-Chief

SCHEDULE FOR SEPT. 17-18, 2010

FRIDAY
    KSFN ABC 30 visit ? FCS Gym ? 5:30 a.m.
    Lunch ? GZ Quad ? 12:35 p.m.
    JV football vs. Strathmore ? North Field ? 5:30 p.m.
    Varsity football vs. Strathmore ? North Field ? 7:30 p.m.

SATURDAY
    Volleyball at Coast Union (Cambria) ? 4:30 p.m.

ABC 30 REPORTS ON CAMPUS
    For KFSN ABC 30’s “Friday Morning Football” segment, a crowd of students, parents and teachers assembled in the FCS Gym at 5:30 a.m. to showcase school spirit and publicize the new football field, Sept. 17. For coverage of the event, read the Sept. 17 article, ‘Friday Morning Football’ spotlights FC program. A video of the event is embedded in the article.

FRESNO BEE COVERS FC
    The Fresno Bee published an article about Fresno Christian’s new stadium and field on Sept. 16. Check out the article: Fresno Christian football has team, facilities to reach goals.

HOMECOMING COURT 2010
    After each class voted for homecoming court on Sept. 16, the student leadership team announced the nominees on Sept. 17. The candidates are as follows:

Freshman Princesses:
    Elora Hargis
    Annaleah Madison
    Ileana See

Sophomore Princesses:
    Stefani Peck
    Rachel Quiring
    Madeleine Yee

Junior Princesses:
    Allison Camden
    Morgan Childs
    Darlene Idsinga

Senior King Candidates:
    Zach Camden
    Alex Campama
    Andrew Evans
    Josiah Ford
    Danny Ibarra

Senior Queen Candidates:
    Madison Dooley
    Cassidy Hutchins
    Mary Reynolds
    Kory Thompson
    Jenna Yee

SMITTCAMP SCHOLARS
    Juniors and seniors who are interested in applying for a President’s Scholarship at California State University, Fresno, through the Smittcamp Family Honors College should plan to attend one of the two Honors Information Days scheduled for Sept. 18, and Sept. 25, at the Satellite Student Union at Fresno State. Seniors who have a minimum GPA of 3.6 are eligible; visit the website at honors.csufresno.edu for a comprehensive view of the benefits of this special program and for scheduling times.

BOOK BUDDIES
    The Book Buddies volunteer program allows FCHS students to minister to the students at Pinedale Elementary by reading to them once a week. The program runs from Oct. 7-Dec. 16. The mandatory training session will be Sept. 23 at lunch. Those interested may sign up in the office with Mrs. Warkentin by Sept. 23.

SPANISH CLUB
    Membership forms and dues must be turned in to the high school office by Tuesday, Sept. 21. Spanish III students who are running for office: Please pick up both an application and recommendation form from Senora Foth ASAP. The next club meeting is on Thursday, Sept. 23.

BEACH TRIP
    The Cayucos beach trip for the game against Coast Union is on Oct. 1, from 10-1 a.m. The cost is $25 per person. Sign up in the high school office. You MUST pay when you sign up. There is limited space on the bus, so sign up soon!

MILITARY ACADEMY INFO
    Juniors and seniors interested in attending one of the military academies (tuition-free, if you are admitted!) should attend Congressman George Radanovich’s Academy Information Night, Sept. 28, at 6:30 p.m.

The once-a-year event will be at the Stanislaus County Ag Center “Harvest Hall,” 3800 Cornucopia Way, in Modesto. Representatives from all the Service Academies ? Navy, Coast Guard, Merchant Marine, Air Force and West Point ? will be present to answer questions. For more information and to RSVP, contact Donna Dami at 209.579.5458 or e-mail [email protected].

CHRISTIAN COLLEGE FAIR
    The annual NACCAP Christian College Fair will be at Buchanan High School, Sept. 21, from 6-9 p.m. More than 30 Christian colleges from around the country will be in attendance. But before you go, check out our own Christian College Fair during lunch in the GZ Quad on Sept. 21. A dozen colleges are scheduled to attend; plan on stopping by and gathering information about the many top-quality Christian colleges that will be represented. Ask your English teacher about extra credit!

PARKING PASSES
    Parking passes for the high school lot are now available. In order to obtain yours, first get the parking pass form from Mrs. Sargent. Fill it out, then take it to Mrs. Regnerus in the high school office with the $10 semester fee and your California driver’s license.

You will not be issued a pass if you do not show your license when turning in the form and money. Students with parking passes may park in the main Alluvial lot and in the slots adjacent to the gym. Starting Aug. 30, vehicles that do not have a parking pass will be cited and possibly towed.

BELL SCHEDULES
    A complete listing of the bell schedules for the 2010-11 school year is available at this link.

DATES TO REMEMBER?

SEPTEMBER
    Sept. 17 ? First season football game vs. Strathmore at home
    Sept. 21 ? Christian College Fair at Buchanan High
    Sept. 21 ? Blood Drive for Max Hinton, Building 6 parking lot all day
    Sept. 22 ? See You At The Pole ? 7 a.m.
    Sept. 24 ? Grandparent’s Day ? 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
    Sept. 28 ? Military Academy Information Night in Modesto

OCTOBER
    Oct. 1 ? Cayucos beach trip
    Oct. 12 ? Chalk art competition at The Big Fresno Fair ? 8 a.m. -noon
    Oct. 13 ? PSAT administered
    Oct. 18-22 ? Homecoming week
    Oct. 20 ? San Joaquin Valley Town Hall – Rick Steves at Saroyan Theatre ? 10:30 a.m.
    Oct. 22 ? Homecoming game vs. Fowler

NOVEMBER
    Nov. 17 ? PLAN administered
    Nov. 17 ? San Joaquin Valley Town Hall – Richard Rodriguez at Saroyan Theatre ? 10:30 a.m.