Self-discovery, creativity drive skateboarding

From jumping stairs to riding for pleasure, skateboarding and long boarding have been a part of this world for a long time. Although at many times, the sport has died down, boarding of all kinds remains popular today.

Skateboarding began in the 1950s, when surfers in California wanted to try to surf the streets. The actual inventor of skateboarding still remains a mystery today.

In its early years, the sport was seen as something to do for fun after surfing.

“Skateboarding is fun to me because I like going fast and doing tricks,” Daniel Kingen, ’09, said. “The best part of skateboarding is hanging out with friends and learning new tricks.”

According to Steve Cave, skateboarding has always been about personal discovery and pushing oneself to the limit.

“I skateboard at Rodeo Park and wherever else I feel like skating at,” Kingen said. “I continue to skate because it is fun and there is nothing better than hanging out with friends and doing what you like to do.”

Various aspects of the sport draw many to fall in love with skateboarding.

“It’s fun and it is something for me to do,” Zack Marsh, ’08, said. “I started skateboarding because my life sucked so I resorted to skateboarding.”

Skateboarding continues to evolve as skaters discover new tricks. After five years of skating, Marsh’s creativity sees no boundaries.

“When you finally land a trick that you have been practicing it makes me feel like I accomplished something,” Marsh said. “I skate with whoever wants to skate with me. When I am bored and have nothing to do I always know I have skateboarding.”

Marsh’s worst memory from skating took place at the Lions Den Skate Park in Fresno.

“When I was 11, I was almost run over by some guy trying to do a melon,” Marsh said. “I was kicked into a bowl and it really hurt. I have never really had any embarrassing skating moments.”

In recent years, Marsh has resorted to cruising around town.

“When I skate, it is usually because I am bored and have nothing else to do,” Marsh said. “I will skate anywhere around town, even if it’s not a skate park.”

Long boarding offers an alternative to skateboarding without sacrificing many similar traits. Long boarding’s extended board allows riders to slalom down streets.

“It does not bother me that mostly guys skateboard or long board,” Rachel Balint, ’08, said. “I personally think that more girls should longboard and skateboard, it is not just for guys.”

Cave feels in both skateboarding and long boarding there is no wrong way to skate. Skaters have the freedom to ride and do tricks as they please.

“Long boarding is fun because I like coasting down streets,” Balint said. “I like to long board in my neighborhood and at Woodward Park. Woodward Park has big hills and going down them is amazing.”