Community views alumnus’ art

Art displays recognize an artist’s accomplishments and expose viewers to new expressions of creativity. Arthop, a monthly event honoring artwork, will feature alumnus Ryan Taylor’s, ’07, scratchboard called, “Dream.”

A variety of museums and studios host Arthop on the first Thursday of the month at 5 P.M. Ashtree Studios will host an opening reception of the 2007 “Emerging Artists” Exhibition on Nov. 1 from 5-9 P.M.

Teacher Sharon Scharf’s passion for art transformed from a hobby and into a profession.

“I have been interested in art since I was a little girl,” Scharf said. “I never intended to be an art teacher. I had a BA in Home Ec and nutrition and art was my minor passion. Mr. (Gary) Schultz offered me this position and in the end I decided to accept.”

Students throughout Fresno County were selected to present their artwork in Arthop. Taylor?s scratchboard will be amongst the other 21 art pieces on display through Dec. 1.

“It is definitely an honor to have my art chosen,” Taylor said. “I would have never expected it. I was proud of the way my scratchboard came out. I had no idea it was good enough to be displayed in town.”

The annual exhibits were chosen by Ashtree Studios owners, Aileen and Tony Imperatrice from the 2007 Fresno County High Schools Art Exhibit at the Fresno Fair.

“It is great that all his diligence and patience paid off,” Scharf said. “The first time I saw Ryan I never would have figured him to be a serious artist. He looked like the typical jock.”

Taylor challenges himself to complete and perfect his art.

“I joined art originally because everyone has to take one year in high school,” Taylor said. “I took art for a total of two years. I decided to take it a second time because I was starting to improve at the end of my first year and I wanted to try to challenge myself. I took on difficult projects and spent more time on them.”

Although Taylor dedicated hours to his art projects, he also participated in recreational activities.

“I played football all four years of high school,” Taylor said. “I stuck with it because I love the sport. There is no greater feeling than a high school football game.”

For more information contact Ashtree Studios at (559) 268-3693

Ashtree Studios
1035 N. Fulton
In the Tower District
Fresno, CA 93728
559) 268-3693