Announcement: 2011-02-18

SCHEDULE FOR FEB. 18-19, 2011

FRIDAY
    Lunch ? Tri-tip sandwich, salad ? 12:35 p.m.
    Baseball practice ? North Field ? 3:30 p.m.
    JV girls’ basketball vs. Parlier ? FCS Gym ? 3:30 p.m.
    JV boys’ basketball vs. Parlier ? FCS Gym ? 5 p.m.
    Varsity girls’ basketball vs. Parlier ? FCS Gym ? 6:30 p.m.
    Varsity boys’ basketball vs. Parlier ? FCS Gym ? 8 p.m.

SATURDAY
    Night of the Stars ? The Grand 1401 ? 5 p.m.

COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY CROWNS FEATHER
    The Feather is proud to announce that it has been recognized as one of 18 online high school finalists for the Columbia Scholastic Press Association’s Crown Award. The newspaper will receive either a Silver or Gold Crown during the 87th Annual CSPA Convention at Columbia University on March 18. For the 2011 Crown competition, The Feather is one of only four schools in California to be recognized as a finalist. Last year, The Feather won a Gold Crown, and two years ago a Silver Crown, making this the third Crown that The Feather has received.

FRESNO CITY COLLEGE TESTING
    Seniors: Fresno City College is coming to campus Friday, Feb. 25, 8-10 a.m., to administer the required math and language tests for admission into FCC or any other area community college. So even if you are not planning on attending Fresno City, but may attend Willow International, Reedley College, or any other community college in the Valley, take advantage of this opportunity! Please sign up in the office with Mrs. Dooley right away! There is no charge for this service.

PARENTS CHOICE AWARDS NOTS FILM VIEWING
    This Saturday, Feb. 19, is the annual Parents Choice Awards for the high school Night of the Stars (NOTS) films. We encourage parents to come and vote for their favorite movies. The event will be held at the Peoples Church Multi-Purpose Room at 9 a.m. There will be donuts and coffee for all attendees. Student leadership class hopes that interested parents and friends can make it to support the high school students of Fresno Christian.

28TH ANNUAL FCS AUCTION, MARCH 12
    Fresno Christian Schools will host the 28th annual FC Auction for members of the community in the FC Gym, March 12. The event, which includes a silent auction, steak dinner, live auction and other activities, will run from 5:30-9 p.m. All proceeds will support FCS.

A silent auction will offer a variety of items, including gift certificates, services and desserts. Although the steak dinner will be served at 6:30, the silent auction will continue throughout the evening. The live auction will begin at 7:30 p.m. and continue until the event’s close.

Police Chief Jerry Dyer will serve as the special guest emcee throughout the evening.

Sponsor tables and/or tickets are available. Last year’s event was sold out so purchase tickets before they are gone. Sponsorships (special reserved table) or individual ticket price are listed below:
    Event Sponsor $10,000 – full page program display & seats 24 guests
    Diamond Sponsor $5,000 – full page program display & seats 24 guests
    Platinum Sponsor $2,500 – full page program display & seats 16 guests
    Gold Sponsor $1,000 – half page program display & seats 8 guests
    Silver Sponsor $750 – listing in program & seats 8 guests
    Individual Tickets $50 – open seating

Call 299-1695 to reserve a table or purchase tickets.

DONATE ITEMS FOR FCS AUCTION 2011
    The success of the FCS Auction is based on a unique blend of guests (bidders) as well as the number and quality of donations. A wide variety of quality merchandise is needed so there are items for all interests.

Popular items include new merchandise, gift certificates, handcrafted boutique items, all types of professional services, entertainment packages, vacation packages, recreational equipment and outings, antiques, collectibles, jewelry, electronic equipment, landscaping, or gardening supplies, fancy desserts, and of course, cash to help with the cost of the event. Individual creativity is encouraged.

All donations to Fresno Christian Schools are tax deductible.

HIGH SCHOOL TRACK NEWS
    The HS track team has been practicing since Feb. 8 after school. Please meet on the South Field at 3:15 to speak with Coach Michelle Warkentin before practice starts. All students are encouraged to come out, meet the coach and join the team.

A track and field meeting for parents and athletes is scheduled for Feb. 24 at 5:30 p.m. in Room 627. Please plan to attend, meet the coaches and get the schedule for the season.

FCS ALUMNI BASEBALL GAME, Feb. 26
    Make plans now to attend the FCS Alumni baseball game, Feb. 26 at 1 p.m., on the North Field. The game will be followed by a kick-off dinner in the J.J. Room (Building 6) beginning at 4 p.m. The game is free, so bring the whole family for a great day of baseball. Tickets for the tri-tip dinner are only $10 each ($30 for a family of 4) and available by contacting Peggy Lee at 285-1003. Hall of Fame Coach Bob Bennett will be the featured speaker. This is an opportunity to meet the new coaches, Thomari Story-Harden and Casey Padgett.

SAT SPRING TEST DATES LOOM
    Time is running out for juniors and seniors to register for the spring SAT tests for college applications. Students may still register for the March 12 test by Feb. 25. Register now for the May 7 test by April 8. Late registration will be taken until April 22. The cost for each test ranges but is at least $50. Please visit the College Board’s website for more information.

BASEBALL PRACTICE BEGINS
    Baseball practice for all baseball players (JV and Varsity) began Feb. 8 on the varsity baseball field. Practice will be 3:30-5:30, Monday-Friday. The team still needs more players, so consider coming out and learn to play baseball with our new coaches!

PARKING PASSES
    Reminder: All students who have a first semester parking pass must renew it for second semester by Monday, Jan. 31. Give your $10 renewal fee to Mrs. Dooley in the High School Office. Beginning Feb. 1, students who have not renewed their pass will have it revoked.

NOTS TICKETS ON SALE
    Tickets for Night of the Stars will go on sale on Jan. 24, at lunch, at the south end of Building 6. The early bird cost of $50 will last for two weeks. After that, the price will be $55.

The cost includes dinner, dessert, movies and a facility downtown on the 10th floor of the Grand 1401. Don’t forget to check the dress code before choosing your wardrobe and to make an appointment for an interview if you’re inviting someone from a different school. You can go with groups of friends or as couples.

NOTICE: SCOOTERS NOT ALLOWED
    Scooters are not allowed on the Peoples Church campus or inside any buildings. The only places where scooters are allowed to be ridden are the parking lots. Violation of this rule will result in scooters being confiscated. Scooters will only be returned to parents.

CSF TUTORING
    If you ever need help with your school work, don’t forget to come to CSF tutoring on Wednesdays after school, 3:15-4:15, in Room 621.

MUSIC DEPARTMENT SELLS MUFFINS
    Music department students continue to sell muffins, croissants and vitamin water every morning for $1 each. They are sold outside Building 6 from 7:15 to 7:50 a.m. The proceeds benefit instrumental and choral groups.

BELL SCHEDULES
    A complete listing of the bell schedules for the 2010-11 school year is available at this link.

DATES TO REMEMBER–

FEBRUARY
    Feb. 19 — Night of the Stars formal ? The Grand 1401
    Feb. 21 — No school: Presidents Day observed

MARCH
    March 12 — Annual Auction ? FCS Gym ? 5:30-9 p.m.
    March 16 — Town Hall Lecture Series: Daniel Kammen ? Saroyan Theatre
    March 17 — St. Patrick’s Day
    March 23 — Half-day: School dismissed at 12 noon
    March 24 — Graduation items delivered

APRIL
    April 1 — April Fool’s Day
    April 14-17 — JEA/NSPA National HS Journalism Convention ? Anaheim
    April 18-25 — Spring Break
    April 20 — Town Hall Lecture Series: Christopher Buckley ? Saroyan Theatre

MAY
    May 4 — Half-day: School dismissed at 12 noon
    May 4-6 — AP Exams administered
    May 9-13 — AP Exams administered
    May 17-18 — Senior finals
    May 19-21 — Senior trip ? Los Angeles
    May 24-26 — Final exams
    May 25 — Graduation rehearsal
    May 25 — Senior awards chapel
    May 26 — Yearbook signing party ? Ground Zero
    May 26 — Commencement ? Peoples Church Sanctuary