Announcement: 2011-03-25

SCHEDULE FOR MARCH 25, 2011

FRIDAY
    Lunch ? Pizza ? 12:35 p.m.
    Track Invitational ? Exeter Monarch ? 2:30 p.m.
    Baseball vs. Kings Christian ? Kings Christian ? 4 p.m.

WINTER GUARD PERFORMANCE
    Winter guard will perform tonight at Clovis North at 6:20 p.m. Senior Megan Stewart has her own solo at 7:30 p.m. All are welcome to come and support the guard team.

FILM APPRECIATION CLUB
    The FC high school is starting a film appreciation club, where the group will meet on selected Fridays after school in Room 601. The purpose of the club is to watch films and critique the directing, acting, writing, and general production value. This club is for all high school students interested in the art filmmaking. The first meeting will take place March 25, from 3:15 p.m. – 5 p.m. in Room 601.

CSPA GOLD CROWN AWARD
    The Columbia Scholastic Press Association (CSPA) awarded The Feather Online with a Gold Crown Award at their 87th annual Spring National Convention at Columbia University, March 16-18. This award is the second consecutive Gold Crown The Feather has won and Columbia University’s highest honor for journalism students.

Nine Gold Crowns and nine Silver Crowns for online high school newspapers were presented, regardless of size or state. Only one other online newspaper from California — The Paly Voice of Palo Alto High School — received a Gold Crown this year. There were 157 Crown Award winners in magazines, print newspapers, yearbooks and online newspapers.

HIGH SCHOOL WRITE-OFF COMPETITION TROPHIES
    At the 2011 High School Write-Off competition, held by Fresno Area Journalism Teachers Association at Bullard High School, several members of The Feather were awarded for their work. Sophomore Katharine Barisic won first place for cartoons, “The Good Times”, and second place awards went to seniors Austin Ward (News Writing) and Hannah Joseph (Photo Journalism), juniors Mary Hierholzer (Reviews Writing) and Nick Avery (Features Writing) and sophomore Maddie Yee (Sports Writing).

The winners will be officially recognized in The Fresno Bee, March 27.

POWDER PUFF POSTPONED
    The powder puff games, previously scheduled for March 24, have been postponed due to rain, and rescheduled for March 28 at 6 p.m. on the North Field. The half day for March 24 still remains, and March 28 will be a full day of school.

FUNDRAISER NIGHT AT QDOBA
    FC will be hosting a fundraiser night ad Qdoba Mexican Grill, March 31, lasting from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. It is located at 1755 Herndon Ave. Qdoba will donate 20% of their sales to FC. Pick up a flyer in any of the school offices and bring it to the fundraiser.

SOFTBALL PRACTICE
    Girls’ softball begins March 15 with practice on the North Field after school until 5 p.m. Stop by the athletic office if you have any questions.

SENIORS: BUICK ACHIEVERS SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITY
    Seniors: The Buick Achievers Scholarship is looking to celebrate motivated, passionate college bound students nationwide. They want to recognize those who have succeeded both inside and outside of the classroom, who may not be able to attend college without financial assistance. They encourage applicants to apply who will be enrolling for full-time study as a first-time freshman at a 4-year college or university and who plan to major in one of the following: Science, Technology, Engineering, Math, Business Administration, Finance, Marketing, or Design. Applicants should be interested in a career in the automotive or related industries. For more information, visit the Buick Achievers Scholarship website. The application deadline is March 31, 2011.

SAT SPRING TEST DATES LOOM
    Register now for the May 7 test by April 8. Late registration will be taken until April 22. Register for the June 4 test by May 6. Late registration will be taken until May 20 by mail and May 23 by phone. The cost for each test ranges but is at least $50. Please visit the College Board’s website for more information.

BASEBALL PRACTICE BEGINS
    Baseball practice for all baseball players (JV and Varsity) began Feb. 8 on the varsity baseball field. Practice will be 3:30-5:30, Monday-Friday. The team still needs more players, so consider coming out and learn to play baseball with our new coaches!

PARKING PASSES
    Reminder: All students who have a first semester parking pass must renew it for second semester by Monday, Jan. 31. Give your $10 renewal fee to Mrs. Dooley in the High School Office. Beginning Feb. 1, students who have not renewed their pass will have it revoked.

NOTICE: SCOOTERS NOT ALLOWED
    Scooters are not allowed on the Peoples Church campus or inside any buildings. The only places where scooters are allowed to be ridden are the parking lots. Violation of this rule will result in scooters being confiscated. Scooters will only be returned to parents.

CSF TUTORING
    If you ever need help with your school work, don’t forget to come to CSF tutoring on Wednesdays after school, 3:15-4:15, in Room 621.

MUSIC DEPARTMENT SELLS MUFFINS
    Music department students continue to sell muffins, croissants and vitamin water every morning for $1 each. They are sold outside Building 6 from 7:15-7:50 a.m. The proceeds benefit instrumental and choral groups.

BELL SCHEDULES
    A complete listing of the bell schedules for the 2010-11 school year is available at this link.

DATES TO REMEMBER–

MARCH
    March 24 — Graduation items delivered
    March 28 — Annual powder puff game

APRIL
    April 1 — April Fool’s Day
    April 8 — SAT registration date for May 7 test
    April 9 — Sadies
    April 14-17 — JEA/NSPA National HS Journalism Convention ? Anaheim
    April 18-25 — Spring Break
    April 20 — Town Hall Lecture Series: Christopher Buckley ? Saroyan Theatre

MAY
    May 4 — Half-day: School dismissed at 12 noon
    May 4-6 — AP Exams administered
    May 6 — SAT registration date for June 4 test
    May 7 — SAT administered
    May 9-13 — AP Exams administered
    May 17-18 — Senior finals
    May 19-21 — Senior trip ? Los Angeles
    May 24-26 — Final exams
    May 25 — Graduation rehearsal
    May 25 — Senior awards chapel
    May 26 — Yearbook signing party ? Ground Zero
    May 26 — Commencement ? Peoples Church Sanctuary