Retired pro trains cheer

While some believe those who are not strong performers become teachers or coaches due to limited skill or physical ability, others prove differently. Gymnastics coach Russ Spencer has not only performed for decades, but now is a sought after instructor.

Spencer’s passion enabled him to tumble into the age of 40. After many years of competitive training, he retired from active participation in 1988. He proceeds to coach at Break the Barriers going on 15 years.

“I love gymnastics,” Spencer said. “The thing I dislike is not being able to tumble every second of the day. Now that I coach, the best part of my day is teaching tumbling. When I see the kid’s face light up after they achieve the trick. That’s what it?s all about for me.”

Work consumes the majority of Spencer’s day between his jobs at Break the Barriers and Sherwin-Williams.

“I work at Break the Barriers six days a week for at least two hours,” Spencer said. “I leave my house at 6:20 A.M. for my first job and then get off at about 3:15. After that I drive over to Break the Barriers and work until 8:15 P.M.”

Although Spencer instructs individual students, he never expected to work with cheerleaders to improve their tumbling skills.

“When I was asked to come over and help the girls with their routines, the impression I had of them was that they were going to be hoity toity cheerleaders,” Spencer said. “I describe that saying as a late 30s early 40s word for stuck up. I did not expect to see the stunts they were doing.”

Spencer has helped with the girls’ tumbling abilities during and outside of cheer for one year.

“Last year was exciting for me,” Spencer said, “because I did not know anything about cheerleading. I was a cheerleader in high school, but we did not do the tricks that they do now.”

All 41 cheerleaders are required to practice at Break the Barriers, but following their tumble time, they are allowed free time for practice. Only 11 take advantage of the opportunity.

Spencer helps the cheerleaders for about five hours each week. He enjoys readying their routines for the upcoming competition season.

“I love working with the girls,” Spencer said. “Putting all of their characters together is like a little party. They all have different personalities that go in so many different directions.”

Spencer maintains the same expectations from the cheerleaders as he does for all of his tumbling students.

“I expect the girls to do their tricks to the best of their abilities,” Spencer said. “They need to leave everything at the door whether it’s a fight or they are thinking about boys or they just don’t want to be there.”

Spencer views the cheer girls as his own daughters.

“Last year I went to a basketball game at the school,” Spencer said, “and a lady asked me if I had any kids who went to school here. I told her that I had 26 girls who went here, meaning the cheerleaders.”

Cheer coach Katie Mendenhall trusts Spencer’s instruction with the cheerleaders because she believes in his eye for gymnastics.

“I trust Russ a lot because he knows what he is doing,” Mendenhall said. “I believe he has great judgment and is great at encouraging the girls. He is tough when it comes to coaching, but he is also fair. I love it when he comes and helps with practice because he is excellent at what he does.”

Varsity cheer captain, Taryn Brown, ’08, enjoys when Spencer helps with practices because she trusts his perspective.

“The thing I like most about Russ,” Brown said, “is that he never gives up on you, even if you accidentally hit him in the face while doing a trick.”

JV cheer captain, Holly Savage, ’10, appreciates Spencer’s dedication and vision for their team.

“I like when Russ comes to practices because he is helping us perfect our team,” Savage said. “He cares about us and wants us to get better. He is always willing to help.”

For more information on the varsity and JV cheer squads, read Brittany Stobbe?s Aug. 21, article, Camp awards cheer?s spirit. For more information about Break the Barriers, call (559) 432-6292.