PSN jumpstarts holiday season with Christmas Pageant

With holiday music and movies beginning to fill stores, the Tower District’s 2nd Space Theatre plans to jumpstart the season with a Christmas play titled “The Best Christmas Pageant Ever”.

Founded in the late 1970s, the 2nd Space Theatre serves as an additional theater to the original Roger Rocka’s Dinner Theatre, both presented by the Good Company Players.

The Parent Support Network (PSN) hosted their annual fundraising event at the 2nd Space Theatre on Nov. 10. Pam Lauber, co-president of PSN, encourages teens to see the play.

?The purpose is to raise money,? Lauber said. ?We thought that a good way to raise money is to provide entertainment for teenagers.?

Based on the novel written by Barbara Robinson, The Best Christmas Pageant Ever was made into a movie in 1983. The theme of the play, narrated by Beth Bradley, played by Erin Elizabeth Brown, outlined the search for the true meaning of Christmas. The Herdmans, a troubled family and the local bullies, stumble upon this while participating in the local church pageant replaying the birth of Jesus Christ.

?I thought it was good,? Paige Powell, ’10, said. ?I liked the music, and it was really well put together and well rehearsed. My favorite part of the play was when Gladys Herdman, (the Angel of the Lord, played by Meghann Pierce) directed the shepherds to baby Jesus with a flashlight. She looked like a person directing cars. The play is much shorter than the movie, it didn?t have as much detail as the movie, and you have to use your imagination while watching the play.?

Imogene Herdman, played by Lauren Burt, plays the role of the Virgin Mary in the play. When Grace Bradley, played by Laurie Pessano, tells Imogene to treat the doll (baby Jesus) as if the doll is the actual baby Jesus, emotions overwhelm her and she cries during the pageant. Her brother, Ralph, played by Jeffrey Barth, ’12, then comforts her.

Powell, who sings in the choir and plays left midfield on the soccer team, went to last year?s production, A Christmas Story.

?I went to support the school, and my mom is president of PSN so I went to help set up and clean up afterwards,? Powell said, ?but I probably would?ve gone anyway. It is just fun going and hanging out with friends. They also have some really good prizes they hand out.?

When the play ends, prizes are disseminated from pre-purchased raffle tickets and all participants were offered food and refreshments in the entrance hall.

?I thought I wasn?t going to like it because I didn?t like the movie,? Frank Daniel, ’11, said. ?The movie is like one of those movies that you don?t want to watch but you have to because it?s Christmas. The movie is corny, but the play is better. I came to see the play because my mom bought tickets, but the play was funny and Gladys was funny when she led the shepherds to the stable with a flashlight.?

The play continues to show through Dec. 21, with show times at 8 P.M. on Thursdays, 8 P.M. Fridays and Saturdays and 2 P.M. on Sundays, with added Saturday matinees and Wednesday and Sunday evening shows during the month of December to accommodate demand. Tickets cost $15 for adults and $14 for students and seniors.

Following the holiday season, The Good Players plan to present Tuesdays With Morrie, beginning Jan. 3-Feb. 24. For more information regarding present or future productions, contact the theatre box office at (559) 266-0660.