The Voice tests alumna’s fear

Fear often hinders development, but Julianne Erkenbrecher’s, ’06, writing apprehensions motivated her to enroll in an elective that transformed her trepidation into passion.

Erkenbrecher joined the publications staff during her junior year and believes the experience not only affected her writing abilities, but other areas of her life.

?At first I was scared of writing, but now I love it,? Erkenbrecher said. ?I wanted to improve my writing skills, because I just wasn?t good at math. I started getting more A?s on my essays rather than B?s or C?s. I also did very well on my SAT essay, which is really good.?

While Erkenbrecher chose to confront her antipathy of writing, she understands sophomore Clay Alcorn’s rationality behind his indifference.

“I don’t like to write because my hand-writing is bad and I never have any good ideas or know the format,” Alcorn said. “I normally get C’s on my papers in English and it lowers my grade. Even though I get average grades, I don’t feel the urge to do anything about it; I’m lazy. I don’t think doing anything will help me later.”

As a sophomore at Vanguard University of Southern California, Erkenbrecher currently co-edits the features section for The Voice, Vanguard?s student-run newspaper. The student editors direct, organize meetings and design the format without professional assistance.

?The newspaper has grown a lot,? Erkenbrecher said. ?When I visited my junior year it wasn?t great, but the issues have increased in pages and we are starting to put together an online edition.?

The summer before her freshman year at Vanguard, she interned with the Fresno Bee learning more on publications as a profession.

?I interned with the Bee for about two weeks,? Erkenbrecher said. ?I followed around reporter Anne Ellis. I met with her and interviewed people with her; I was her ?job shadow?. The newsroom was hectic. It was very stressful and high stress, especially for women with families.?

Although Erkenbrecher?s experience with the Bee provided insight to a reporter’s work, the stress of deadlines impacted her decision in choosing her major. She now plans to pursue a career in child development.

?I originally planned to be a communications major with a journalism minor,? Erkenbrecher said, ?but then I realized I wanted to work in child development as a psychology major, just because writing isn?t going to be my main focus, it doesn?t mean I can?t keep doing it.?

Erkenbrecher reflects upon her high school years and accredits her journalist success to adviser Greg Stobbe.

?Julianne treated her publications class as a job,? Stobbe said. ?She became a sponge and quickly became one of the best writers I had during her senior year. She quickly surpassed my expectations and became a leader for the Feather staff. She was an integral part of the Pacemaker Award the newspaper won in 2006.?

Stobbe found Erkenbrecher’s dedication commendable and believes this helped her persevere in her struggle to write.

?It?s easy for a teacher to be drawn to someone when the student hungers to be better than her peers,? Stobbe said. ?She set the bar high. It was easy to continue to train and encourage her as a writer and a person.?

Erkenbrecher believes that her 13-year experience at the school prepared her for life outside of Fresno.

?I think that, as far as education, the classes and teachers have prepared me well for college,? Erkenbrecher said. ?The intense curriculum, the information I received and the focused teachers, all helped me mature.?

While local Fresno public schools enroll approximately 3,000 students, compared to less than 300 at FC, Erkenbrecher credits her mental and spiritual development to the smaller class size.

?The small community and friends helped me to be more sociable and gave me the desire for a relationship with God,? Erkenbrecher said. ?Having teachers as mentors helped me to stay on track. It was a neat thing to be able to talk about personal issues and my relationship with God.?

While Erkenbrecher?s now expresses appreciation for her private education, she considered transferring to a public school her sophomore year.

?My sophomore year I started to think, ?I?ve been here so long and have no public school experience,?? Erkenbrecher said. ?So I started to register for Buchanan.?

However, Erkenbrecher remained on campus through her senior year. She graduated as a ?lifer?.

?My family and I prayed about it, but it wasn?t right. I?m glad I didn?t end at Buchanan,? Erkenbrecher said. ?I?m glad I got to graduate with people I?ve known my whole life.?

Erkenbrecher seems to have made a lasting affect on her teachers and peers. Although she is no longer pursuing a journalistic career, Stobbe believes she will still be successful.

?Julianne is a high quality individual. It is a privilege to be her friend,? Stobbe said. ?I look forward to keeping in contact with her and hearing of her successes.?