Junior defines varsity success, envisions championship

After competing for Valley against Mission Prep last season, the varsity girls’ basketball team aims to not only duplicate their winning season, but take it a step further and secure the title of Valley Champions.

As a third year varsity player, junior Katie White advocates team bonding and training.

“It’s amazing to play on varsity because it’s more intense and challenging,” White said. “I like to play with everyone on the team. They are energetic and fun to be around.”

Third year head coach Josh Tosland expects the team to improve at each practice and compete in every game. He relies on White to perform to her best ability.

“Katie provides the team with a great work ethic,” Tosland said. “She also adds leadership, intensity on defense, and proves herself as a team player on offense. She has been on both ends of the spectrum of success; she defines it.”

White attributes her father’s influence to her desire to play basketball in the fifth grade.

“I continue to play because I love the sport,” White said. “It is a great game to play. You never stop running, and it keeps me active.”

White’s sister, Ashlyn, ’11, finds both the positive and negative aspects of playing on the same team.

“It’s fine when were getting along,” Ashlyn said. “We sometimes argue about each other’s attitude on the court, but other than that we’re fine. I think we have become closer because of it.”

The 2006-07 team was the first girls’ basketball team to play for a Division V championship and qualified for the CIF Southern California State Region playoffs.

“My expectations for this year’s team is to win Valley,” White said. “I loved going to Valley and having the opportunity to compete at a higher level.”

Besides basketball, White has played volleyball and continues to play softball during the off-season.

“I played softball with Katie when basketball season ended last year,” Melanie Nachtigall, ’08, said. “She is athletic and she brings a competitive spirit to the team. I have so much fun playing with her.”

After years of participation in sports with White, Emily Krieghoff, ’09, developed a friendship with her teammate.

“I have played with Katie for six years,” Krieghoff said. “She brings intensity and is fun to talk to; she puts on a shy appearance but she is not.”

After playing against various schools such as Clovis High and Madera South, the Eagles placed third in the Clovis Classic Invitational.

“It felt great to compete and beat larger schools,” White said. “The games we lost were close and we learned from our mistakes. In order to dominate league we need to strive to get better each day and stay positive.”

The girls’ next game will be against Laton on Dec. 4.