Grad produces news limelight

Many teens cannot decide whether they want to attend a football game or a weekend party until the last minute. However, alumnus Chyresse Lowther, ?96, not only knew her dream career, but dedicated herself to pursuing it before entering high school.

She believes laying down foundations and learning communication skills led to her success as a new producer for KCRA in the state capitol.

Lowther interviews and writes articles that later are read on the air by another reporter.

?I primarily produce medical stories, but occasionally cover breaking news and elections,” Lowther said. “For example, I spent the last week covering the fires in southern California.?

?I liked to write so I looked for a way to be a writer,? Lowther said. ?I spent two years in journalism class at FC and interned at Channel 47, during my senior year. At age 19, I got my first job as a news room assistant at KSEE 24 and stayed there until I was almost 24.?

While at California State University, Fresno, Lowther graduated with a major in broadcast journalism and a minor in political science.

?I learned everything about producing while broadcasting in classes, three years before I graduated,” Lowther said. “At graduation, I was named Outstanding Broadcast Journalism student.?

Over the past five years, Lowther has been working with Edie Lambert, a veteran anchor and reporter, at KCRA for 12 years.

?We first started working together with politics,? Lambert said. ?When the station was covering the election, they would send her as a field producer and we worked well so I started requesting her whenever I went out to cover stories.?

Lambert and Lowther maintain a team-oriented working relationship.

?We work as a team,? Lambert said. ?If I don?t have time to cover something or if the station gives us two assignments at the same time, she will go and cover the story. Also, if she doesn?t have time then sometimes I will produce.?

In addition to being committed to her career, Lowther also actively participates in local organizations. She serves as the social event coordinator for the Sacramento valley chapter of the Young Republican Federation.

“I don?t get involved in the politicking side of things as it is important for me to maintain my objectivity as a journalist,” Lowther said, “but I plan day trips and dinners for the group.?

Along with serving at the Young Republican Federation, Lowther currently holds an office as vice president of the Sacramento Active 20-30 Club, women’s chapter.

“It?s an international organization that gives people in their 20?s and 30?s an opportunity to improve the lives of children through hands-on service projects and fundraisers,? Lowther said. ?Our mission statement is ?One never stands so tall as when kneeling to help a child?. It?s extremely rewarding to use the blessings in your life to help others. Children are innocent and deserve the very best we can give them to get off to a great start in life.?

Lowther considers FC her foundation to her current success.

?The teachers helped me a lot,? Lowther said, ?because FCS is so small, a feeling of friendship and support is made with the teachers. They encourage you to accomplish your goals and give you council and support.?

She believes participation in sports and clubs help produce social skills.

?Cheerleading kept me from hiding in the background, as I was likely to do during my adolescence,” Lowther said. “It forced me into the spotlight. I learned the importance of practice, teamwork, being social and being an encourager.”

This new outreach caused Lowther to make connections with people, which later helped her for job opportunities.

?I started working with April Gahn, FC alumna of ?92, at Baskin Robbins in Fresno,” Lowther said. “I ran into her a few years later and she helped me get an internship at KSEE 24. She and I worked together for nearly five years and then, five months after I moved to Sacramento, she moved here to work at the ABC station. There are a lot of former Fresnans who now work in television in Sacramento, so I am always seeing familiar faces.?

Lowther values these skills as being vital to the working world.

?These are great skills to have, especially when you move into the workplace where you need to communicate plans, processes and ideas to others,” Lowther said. “Today, I am able to talk to almost anyone about anything.”

G.L. Johnson, pastor of Peoples Church and grandfather of Lowther, feels her years on campus influence her at work and in spiritual maturity.

?FC had a lot to do with her spiritual maturity and success,? Johnson said. ?She?s being a witness in the workplace which is not easy to do. Co-workers come to her for prayer and support so I am grateful for what they did.?

After years of experience in the industry, Lowther has much advice to share for high school students.

?Try to narrow down the area in media where you want to work, whether magazines, television or newspapers,” Lowther said. “Then, learn as much as you can about it on the Internet and industry websites. Also, watch television broadcasts to learn their style and how they word things.”

Lowther believes immersing yourself in many areas can transform a reporter’s story.

?Be aware of current events and learn as much as you can about as many things as you can,” Lowther said. “Be an inch deep and a mile wide, meaning you should try to learn a little bit about everything because you never know what story you?ll get.?

“Often times you don’t think you’ll hear about people coming from a small school and getting hired at big name stations,” Claire Kister, ’08, said. “It’s encouraging to see someone be successful in the that large of a field in a big city, because I want to become a broadcast journalist. She’s an inspiration.”