Secretaries strengthen school relations

Some students may believe campus secretaries simply drink coffee and answer phone calls. However, the complexities of the job are often overlooked. Those who know, testify that the two ladies may just be the heart beat of the school.

Secretary Jennifer Lee, who began working on campus in ’05, believes that working as a secretary at a private school offers great opportunities.

?I used to work at a T-Mobile wireless store called C&C Wireless,? Lee said. ?I wasn?t really looking for a job that involved high school students; it just happened. This job has a lot of multitasking. One of the responsibilities I have is taking attendance, so I call students in with unexcused absences or tardies so they can call their parents to get excused. There are many different things to do every day.?

Secretary Yoko Kilbourne, who has worked as a secretary for 10 years, desired a job on a Christian campus due to her own beliefs.

?My last job was teaching Japanese at Azusa Pacific,? Kilbourne said. ?I became a Christian in high school, so I wanted to work in a high school setting. My job is to facilitate the teachers and administrators in order that they can get their work done. Each day we have a to do list that can sometimes be two pages long, but there are always a multitude of not-on-the-to-do list requests.?

Scott Callisch, P.E. coach, never takes the secretaries for granted, attributing them with helping teachers as well as students.

?We couldn?t run the school without the secretaries,? Callisch said. ?The teachers are literally clueless without the secretaries.?

The duties of the secretaries also extend beyond phone calls and attendance. Secretaries are also responsible for providing transcripts for college-bound seniors. Transcripts are essential for university applications.

Kilbourne and Lee also receive extra help from office aides, such as senior Ashley Hall. Hall appreciates their cheerful attitudes in the office.

?Without the secretaries, the school would be out of control without someone to answer the phone calls and doing things for teachers,” Hall said. “I?ve noticed that the secretaries never have a bad day; they always come in with smiles on their faces.?

With such a busy job interacting with teenagers, Lee notices varying interactions with the students each day, noting their relationships with their friends, as well as the secretaries themselves.

?The upperclassmen interact with us more than the underclassmen,? Lee said. ?I have noticed that the underclassmen seem shy and don?t come to the office except out of necessity; whereas, the upperclassmen like to hang out around the office.?

Lee?s time as a secretary has provided many memorable experiences, usually concerning students.

?Last year, my first year as a secretary, I was asked to the senior graduation dinner,” Lee said. “I found that a special experience for me since it was my first year and I didn?t expect they would invite me.?

Principal Gary Schultz acknowledges the importance of the secretaries and the magnitude of their assistance.

?Every principal would say that his or her secretary is vital, and I agree with that,? Schultz said. ?Whenever someone calls the school, the first person they talk to is the secretary. They can make people feel important and that the school is a good school. They both understand our philosophy at a Christian school; they have a servant?s heart. They are special, fun and easy to work with.?

Many members of the faculty and students recognize the value of a secretary, while others fail to fully grasp the importance of the secretarial role.

?I don?t think that being a secretary is a very big job because a lot of people don’t know how that job helps the school,” Rebekah Wells, ’11, said.

While some students do not understand the secretarial role, others have a different perspective on the school’s aides.

?I think that being a secretary is an important job and takes a lot of responsibilities,? Jessica Massie, ?11, said. ?Without them, nothing would be organized or done in the right order.?