JV Capitol champions

Silence fell over the gymnasium as the campus JV cheerleading squad huddled together, before the awards ceremony began.

Every cheerleader linked arms and crossed fingers, as the judges announced the Fellowship of Christian Cheerleaders (FCC) Capitol Classic Grand Champs in Sacramento on Nov. 17.

Following the 2006/07-varsity cheer squad?s success at the competition, the Eagles won first place in the JV Show Cheer division and the coveted Grand Champs award.

Despite the youth of the JV squad, many of the cheerleaders spend time outside of practice to work and perfect tumbling skills and jumps.

“The girls’ routine was flawless,” coach Katie Mendenhall, said. “After they were finished, the crowd went crazy! The girls came off of the floor, unaware of what they had just done! As coach, all I could do was cry. I didn’t even care what place they would receive, I was just proud that they had done so well.”

By receiving Grand Champs, the JV cheerleaders performed a top scoring routine ahead of the twelve other squads participating at the competition.

?It was the first competition ever for almost half the squad,? Mendenhall said. ?They are very focused and know what they want to accomplish for such a young and inexperienced team.?

After over three months of practice, and attending a cheerleading summer camp, the girls? hard work and dedication paid off.

“Going onto the floor, I was really nervous but excited,” captain Elizabeth Grossman, ’10, said. “I could feel the energy from the other girls throughout the routine, and I think that the judges noticed that as well.”

While the excitement of the win encouraged the squad, the cheerleaders now realize the level of difficulty they must perform at in order to place well.

?I think that our squad understands that we still have to work hard for the rest of the year,? Grossman, said. ?We don?t get to slack off because now our competition will be tougher. We have to step it up.?

Similarly to last year’s varsity squad, the JV squad beat two varsity teams and an All-Star squad participating in the competition.

?I am so happy that the judges saw our potential and drive,? captain Holly Savage, ?10, said. ?I think that it is time that people recognize that JV is good and we?re not the underdogs anymore.?

The next competition the JV and varsity cheerleading squads will be participating in is the annual Clovis Pep Classic at Clovis High school on Jan. 26. Varsity will also be performing their cheer routine at the United Spirit Association (USA) Regionals at Orange Lutheran high school on Jan. 20.