9-foot burrito a foot short

As the bell rings Sharon Scharf, home economics teacher, leisurely stoles through the hallway.

While at a stop at the office a herd of students gathered around her cart to see what the home ec. class concocted on Nov. 29. To their delight it was the annual 9-foot burrito.

“I brought some leftovers on my cart into the hall just as 3rd period was over,” Scharf said. “It was like a shark feeding frenzy, that puppy was gone in no time.”

This 8-year tradition, inspired by a La Victoria recipe, contained tortillas, beans, seasoned meat, cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, onions, olives, sour cream and guacamole.

“I could not find the large flour tortillas”, Scharf said. “So our burritos were only 8 feet long this year. Yes, I did say ‘burritoS’; we made 3 of them.”

Scharf said many of her students feel the monster burrito creation is one of the favorite home ec. days but the stress behind the scenes is often overlooked.

“For the students all the ingredients are lined up and all they need to do is chop and put them in bowls and wait for my signal,” Scharf said. “My stress comes in making sure there are enough ingredients in the kitchen and ready to go. But the burrito day is a lot of fun.”

Senior Elisha Quintana was excited to get her piece of wrap but nearly was ousted at the last minute.

“It was a monstrous stampede to get into the office,” Quintana said. “It was a struggle but I got some, luckily a slice was saved for me.”

Each student in the class contributed by adding the essential components for the burrito. Lindsay Bolduc, ’09, sprinkled cheese on the burrito, she appreciated not having to deal with onions.

“This was my second time making this burrito,” Bolduc said. “It was definitely fun and it was different than the usual stuff we make. It was an assembly line of students and it went by quick.”

This year the burrito was only 8 feet long, with a total of three were made.

“The burrito is just a fun lesson,” Scharf said. “Everyone loves doing the burrito and just can’t imagine how we’ll pull it off. One of my favorite questions is ‘where do you get such a big tortilla?’ Actually, we leaf tortillas down a board so they are just regular tortillas.”

Even teachers look part in devouring this traditional burrito.

“This was the first year I had it,” Michael Fuller, English teacher, said. “I didn’t know what to expect. It tasted good but needed more spices in the meat. I also think it needs to be displayed so people can see what a 9-foot burrito is like.”

For more information on the annual nine-foot burrito, visit Eager burrito eaters and Home ec. assembles 9-ft. burrito.