Class of ’87 reunites

After graduating, senior classes venture off to new experiences to see what the future holds. As the years pass, curiosity lurks in students’ minds after years of separation from high school peers. Class reunions provide opportunities to reconnect with others.

“I think reunions give our alumni a chance to reconnect after having time to complete their education and share with their friends what God is calling them to do,? Superintendent Tim Wilkins said. ?Reunions provide a focused time to spend time together.”

The class of ’87 united with old friends from the past on Oct. 6-7. For many of them, two decades produced dramatic changes and challenges.

“It was truly a great weekend and well worth the trip,” Kelly Barnhart, ’87, said. “It’s amazing to think that some of us were together since third or fourth grade. I wish I had more time to talk to everyone at the dinner and picnic.”

Some of the typical changes include college degrees, addition of spouses and children, inches to the waistline and reduction in active hair follicles.

?I had so much fun at the reunion and wasn?t going to miss it especially since I missed the tenth one,? Debbie Norman, ?87, said. ?I loved catching up with those who attended and for the e-mails of those who couldn?t make it.?

The reunion dinner took place in Old Town Clovis and the Sunday afternoon picnic was held at Woodward Park. Mick Fuller, ’87, campus English teacher, attended the gathering, not knowing what to expect.

“There was a lot of polite, adult conversation,” Fuller said. “The dinner on Saturday was formal, but the Sunday picnic was very casual. People came and left when they pleased. I didn’t know what to expect, but it was great seeing people I haven’t seen in 20 years.”

Alumni Perri Potigian, ?07, currently attends Fresno State University. She keeps in touch with fellow graduates and looks forward to her class reunion.

“The benefits of class reunions are obvious, you get a chance to see people who you haven’t seen for years,” Potigian said. “It’s going to be interesting to see who shows up at our reunion ten years from now. It’s going to be neat to see who will be married, have kids and who has what career.”