Lane lights 85-year tradition

Strings of lights rise on the sky and create a glow at the 85th annual Christmas Tree Lane. Crowds gaze at the numerous light displays and the seasonal characters decorating the lawns. Families, friends and couples walk the streets as Christmas carols fill the air.

The tradition began when a single tree was decorated in 1920, on Van Ness Ave. from Shaw to Shields. The Christmas Tree Lane began this year by the first walking day, Dec. 1.

Becky Barisic lives on the lane and continues to celebrate the event for nearly two decades.

“I have decorated for this for 17 years,” Becky said. “My favorite part about it is the party at our house. It is a time to gather and spend with my friends.”

Over 100,000 people visit the lane each year to view displays decorating over 120 homes. The Fig Garden Homeowners Association begins setting up the display of Christmas lights in early Oct. to prepare for the holiday.

“I like to look at all the pretty lights,” Sydney Carlson, ’11, said. “My favorite display is the house with the big castle and the Disney characters going in a circle. It?s a time to hang out with my family and friends.”

Lauren Barisic, ’10, daughter of Becky, walks down the lane several times each year.

“I have grown up with this tradition my whole life,” Lauren said. “I love to fall asleep to the Christmas music in the air.”

In almost nine decades of existence, the Lane has only dealt with snow in 1999; snow fell in the central Valley and covered the lane with a thin blanket.

“My children have grown up with the tradition,” Becky said. “The time it snowed in Fresno was a really unique experience for them. It was really incredible to walk down the lane and have snow fall on all of the Christmas decorations.”

Clay Alcorn, ’10, chose to walk down Candy Cane Lane in northern Fresno rather than Christmas Tree Lane.

“I don’t like it (Christmas Tree Lane),” Alcorn said. “This is much closer and I can walk to it from my house. My friends go there and I know a few people that live there.”

The money to pay for the electricity running the lights is supported by donations. People can give donations at boxes along the street.

“Most of the decorations are the same from year to year,” Lauren said, “however, the homeowner on the end of the Lane displays something new every year.”

Among the many patrons walking down the Lane each year, some campus teens continue a tradition of the event.

“I went with a couple of my friends,” Rachel Balint, ’08, said, “I do it every year and have done it for nine years. My favorite part is the last house that has the 100-foot thing with lights. I think every house on Christmas Tree Lane should be required to decorate their house. I definitely encourage people to go, especially if you live in Fresno.”

Although thousands of people walk down Christmas Tree Lane each year, some students choose to stay home and participate in other activities.

“I don’t walk Christmas tree lane because I don’t have the time,” Jesse Todd, ’10, said. “I play a lot of basketball and I play the drums and guitar in my free time during the evening.”

Carlson prefers walking down Christmas Tree Lane rather than driving and encourages others to do the same. The final walk night is on Dec. 11.

“I like going on the walking nights,” Carlson said. “You are not caught up in the traffic.”

Tree Fresno will provide bus rides from the parking lot of the Fig Garden financial center for $7 on Dec. 11. The lane will be open until Dec. 26, from 6-10 P.M. on Sun.-Thurs. and 6-11 P.M. on Fri. and Sat.