Tutors gain, give insight

The anticipation of the final 3 P.M. bell is the best part of the day for many. However, other students remain after school to help and receive help from the Learning Resource Center (L.R.C.) with homework and other academic challenges.

?I think that having a L.R.C. program on campus is good, in that it not only benefits students, it benefits tutors,? George Freeman, tutoring coordinator, said. ?For example, students learn about the subject in a more personal environment that helps them to understand the subject deeper. It helps the tutors in that it gives them a more in-depth perspective of the subject, and a sense of well-being in that they are helping someone academically.?

When reaching students? academic goals, the benefits of teaching are beneficial in more than one way. Not only does it help the tutor better learn the subject they are teaching more in depth, but it also pays well.

High school students can make up to $10 per hour, college tutors can make up to $15 per hour and teachers that tutor those who are not enrolled in their class can make up to $25 per hour.

?I like tutoring because I get to learn new vocabulary words,? Sarah Hollingsworth, ?10, said. ?Plus, I get paid for tutoring.?

High school students not only have a chance to learn, but to become a tutors themselves.

?Having an option to get help from the L.C.R. is great,? Tyler Chessum ?10, said, ?although some students may not like the idea of getting help from the L.R.C., others like myself take great advantage [of it].?

For some students, receiving help through the L.R.C. inspires them to one day become tutors in order to not only better themselves in a certain subject, but to help others.

?I plan on becoming a tutor,? Elise Porter ?11 said, ? because I have a passion for helping other succeed academically.?