• Choir at Anaheim Heritage Festival, 4/12-4/14

Female gender chapel promotes self awareness

Students on campus may think teachers are clueless about today’s teens dating but the gender separated chapels proved that wrong on Feb. 21.

Many senior girls along with the female staff organized the girl’s chapel. The main point to get across throughout the chapel was modesty and how girls can help guys focus on the right things in life.

“We wanted girls to get a different perspective on modesty,” Samantha Kimball, ’02, said. “Mrs. (Molly) Sargent did a great job of bringing everything together. She also helped us realize we have to help the guys by watching the way we dress.”

A panel of five male high school students later answered questions and offered their opinions on dating and relationships.

“We all were really excited,” Casey Belmont, ’02, said. “I really wanted to give girls insight into the minds of guys. We all would like to do it again if we could.”

While the panel seemed to enjoy the chapel, the all female audience seemed to enjoy it as well. Many girls felt they would rather have guys answer questions about relationships than other females.

“It was really cool this year how the guys came in and answered questions,” Marcy Froese, ’04, said. “It was a lot better hearing things from the guys than other girls, although the skit the teachers put on was good and Sargent’s message was really good.”

Many of the female staff members put together and performed a skit about two girls with very different expectations for their prom night and their date.

“I thought the skit was really funny, totally true to life and the way things happen,” Danae Cook, ’05, said. “I hope we can have more chapels like that in the future.”

The female teachers were also upbeat in their feelings towards the chapel event.

“The chapel went pretty well,” Sargent said. “We needed to practice the skit more but overall the message that we wanted to give came out. I hope that we can have more girls chapels in the future so was can talk honestly and openly with each other.”