Constitution exam tests 8th graders

For the past 19 years, curriculum requires 8th graders to take the United States Constitution test, determining the fate of their entry into high school. Dressed up in semifomal attire, the students took the exam that could make or break their American History grade on Dec. 7.

Anthony Haddad, ?12, kept a cool head before the test, despite being around flustered peers.

?I?m not really nervous about the test,? Haddad said. ?I?m confident because I studied with my friends.?

Kylie Pittenger, ?12, wore a brown and blue striped dress pants with a dress shirt and studied for the test.

?My mom asked me the questions for the test,? Pittenger said. ?Then I rewrote the answers over again a couple of times.?

The test is the cause of much stress each year for students. Steven Callisch, ?13, is worried about failing the test when he takes it next year.

?If I fail the test I will have to retake history in summer school,? Callisch said, ?but I know I can get through it okay if I study a lot. I will use the book to study, because that helps me more than flash cards.?

In anticipation for next year’s test, some 7th graders have already begun to plan their own study methods.

?I will reread the chapters for the test in the book,? Rachel Quiring, ?13, said, ?and I will use index cards to study.?

Hallie Rojeski, 8th grade English and history teacher, required students to wear semiformal attire on the day of the test.

?Dressing up and having a formal dinner has changed the attitude,” Rojeski said. “While students don?t always remember the specifics of the Constitution, they do appreciate how special the document is.?

Some 8th graders were opposed to the dress up rule. However, they had a special lunch to look forward to after the test. The lunch included salad with ranch or caesar dressing, ravioli with mozzarella cheese, pasta with meat and marinara sauce, ice cream with a strawberry and an American flag cookie.

?The idea of dressing up is not my favorite,? Haddad said, ?but I wore a dress shirt, slacks and a Homer Simpson tie. The lunch was awesome because everyone was with their friends.?

For more information on the constitution test, visit Holiday Constitutional cheer
and Firm foundations