TV producer shares professional publications prowess

In an effort to encourage and motivate, campus alumna Chyresse Lowther, ’96, spoke to publications students on Jan. 11.

Now a producer for KCRA in Sacramento, Lowther explained how she worked her way up in the journalism industry, from an intern position at a local magazine to writing health articles that appear on the evening news.

“No matter what career you want to be in, try to put yourself in that environment,” Lowther advised. “Don’t be afraid to volunteer to get your foot in the door; do what you have to do to get it done.”

Students listened and took notes from Lowther who shared her years of writing for The Feather.

“As an inspiring news anchor, Lowther’s personal experience inspired be to further pursue my career, in spite of the difficult moments,” senior Claire Kister, Features editor, said. “The advice she gave about placing yourself in the environment you want to work in proved valuable.”

Lowther went on to recount her experiences as staff writer as a sophomore, and how it motivated her to pursue other forms of journalism.

After writing for The Feather, her interest was sparked, and she went on to work for a local magazine, and then as a volunteer intern at KSEE 24.

“The visit was interesting and motivating because you don’t realize how being in journalism can impact your future,” senior Jennifer Sherfield, Senior editor, said. “It’s nice to see how she has been successful after graduation.”

Lowther began work as a producer for the morning show: working from 11 P. M.-5 A. M. Although discouraged by a lack of social life, she persevered through the long nights.

“I thought the visit was inspirational because she showed how working hard and pulling all-nighters can pay off,” Ryan Swain, ’10, said. “She started right where we are, and now is very successful.”

After eventually becoming a producer on the evening news in Sacramento, Lowther writes and researches health articles that are read onscreen by another reporter.

Lowther finds her job rewarding because of the ability she has to reach the public.

“Once I did a health story on a newly discovered disease called fibromyalsia,” Lowther said. “After researching the topic, I realized that my grandmother had the disease, undiagnosed. She was able to be treated, which has greatly improved her life. I got many e-mails thanking me for doing that story. That is why being a news producer is rewarding for me.”

For more information, check out Austin Ward’s Nov. 29 article, “Grad produces news limelight”.