Future teachers to attend camp

Students all over the city will assemble at California State University, Fresno in order to pursue their dreams of teaching. These future teachers will be attending the Teachers of Tomorrow Leadership Camp sponsored by Fresno State’s School of Education and Human Development from March 21-22.

“This camp is an excellent opportunity for students to experience a university campus while gaining some valuable information for prospective teachers,” Jody Daughtry, camp organizer, said.

Art and home economics teacher Sharon Scharf will be chaperoning a group of six campus students during the trip to Fresno State.

“I would recommend this camp to any student who wishes to, or has considered, teaching in their future,” Scharf said. “It gives a wealth of information to those who aspire to teach.”

The camp offers seminars in subjects such as career, academic and financial aid. A tour of the campus and activities encouraging leadership skills will also be offered.

For those attending the camp, Fresno State will be providing free food and lodging at the Piccadilly Inn for one night.

“I want to be a high school teacher and coach when I grow up,” Carson Belmont, ’05, said, “so I would definitely consider attending this camp. All the free stuff they give you is an added bonus for me.”

Those interested in attending the camp should contact Scharf for information and a permission form. A hundred Fresno- area students will be attending the camp, and each school is allowed to bring six participants, so students will be admitted to the camp on a first come-first serve basis.