Self-motivator alters ego, leads team

With the crowd cheering her on, number five dribbles across the court and crossovers multiple defenders. She then passes ball and the play ends with a successful two points.

Junior Emily Krieghoff began her basketball career with the Peoples’ Church Little Hoopsters at age five.

?I just love everything about the game, and I love the intensity of it,” Krieghoff said. “It?s especially nice this year because all of our teammates get along. Another thing I like about basketball is that it?s not just about you; you can rely on other people.?

Head coach Josh Tosland values her endurance and stamina and finds she has brought joy to the team for the past two years.

?What makes Emily stand out from everybody is her desire to be good at defense,? Tosland said. ?She also plays her very best in our biggest games. Everybody loves Emily; she makes practice fun with her big smile and joking around.?

Hensley, her best friend and fellow teammate, hangs out with her on and off the court.

?I?ve known Emily since kindergarten and we hang out 24/7,” Hensley said. “Emily is great at stopping the other teams’ best player. On the court she is definitely more serious than off the court but other than that she acts pretty much the same.?

Since Krieghoff spends a majority of her time participating in sports, she has gathered numerous memorable moments. Last season before an away game, Krieghoff lost a shoe on the team’s bus.

?When you lose something during the season, Tosland never lets it slide,” Krieghoff said. “He makes you do something to get it back to ensure that you won?t lose anything again.?

When a teammate found the shoe and gave it to Tosland, he issued a suitable punishment.

?It was half time for the JV team and the cheerleaders were doing their routine,” Krieghoff said. “Tosland made me go and dance with the cheerleaders. They were all looking at me like I was crazy and I left after two minutes. I got my shoe back but it was the most embarrassing thing ever.?

Not only did Krieghoff?s dancing provide entertainment to the school, it also amused her fellow teammates.

?Emily was a great sport about having to dance with the cheerleaders because it was something she had to do,” Tatiana Fontes, ’10, said. “She was a little embarrassed but we all encouraged her.?

Due to her dedication to basketball, Krieghoff finds it difficult to spend quality time with her family.

?I have a 12-year-old brother and a 13-year-old sister,? Krieghoff said. ?We get along sometimes but we don?t have any family nights or anything because we are all so busy.?

Krieghoff strives to find a way to make everybody smile and believes success stems from motivation.

?Emily is so much fun to be around,? Hensley said. ?There is never a dull moment with her. When we aren?t going to the movies we mostly just take naps and eat, but even then Emily finds a way to make it entertaining.?

During the off-season, Krieghoff and the rest of the team continue to train in order and improve their skills.

?There is a summer league that Tosland encourages us to do,? Krieghoff said. ?When basketball isn?t in season, practice is only like an hour. But when it is in season, then it?s two and a half to three hours.?

Although Krieghoff devotes most of her time to basketball, she participates in a variety of sports.

?I have played volleyball, soccer and softball,? Krieghoff said. ?I decided to play basketball instead of soccer because soccer took up too much of my time. I?m still debating whether or not to play softball this year. Larissa and I are thinking about playing tennis next year too.?

Though Krieghoff loves basketball and the life skills she has acquired, she does not plan to play in college.

?I think I just want to spend more time on my studies when I get to college,? Krieghoff said. ?It would take up too much of my time, but I will always love the sport.?