Color guard places third in competition

The campus Winter Guard team is preparing their routine for the third competition of the year. Several Valley Winter Guard teams will congregate for the much-desired title of best performance in five Valley divisions. The teams’ routine will include a combination of dance moves, flag twirling, and as always, big smiles. Each routine will last five minutes and will be held on March 8.

“I am confident that the girls will do well this year,” said coach Lisa Stallings. “They have shown a great deal of potential from such a small group.

The team has eight members including co-captains Carolyn Simpson, ’03, and Jaclyn Rogers, ?03. They have slightly decreased in size since the beginning of the year but this setback has not affected the teams’ effort or the score they received in their previous performances on Jan. 25 at Clovis East and Feb. 22 at Buchanan High School.

“I’m not too worried about our next,” said Rogers. “We have been working hard and I know that our extra practices have paid off.”

The girls meet every day at first period and Saturdays from 3 ? 5 p.m. After school practices for the team are on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:30 ? 9:30 p.m.

“The practices can be tiring but it is worth it to do well at the competition,” said Simpson. “It would be nice to have a bigger crowd from Fresno Christian to cheer us on.”

For the first time in high school history the winter guard received third place out of 16 schools. They competed against various schools including Exeter, Arroyo Grande, and Sanger on Feb. 22.

“It was so exciting to compete against public schools and do so well,” Rachel Jacobson, ’04, said. “Maybe next time they won’t be so quick to dismiss us.”

The girls will perform in the Clovis High School gym on March 8. Their performance will start at 6:15 p.m. and will last five minutes. Their championship performance will be on March 22 and will be held at Clovis West.

“I think that we will do well at the next competition and even better at championships especially after our performance at Buchanan,” Simpson said. “I expect to get either first or second.”” “Carli Albrechtson, Retired photographer” “After finishing third in the Division 5 competition at Buchanan High School on Feb. 22, both Color Guard and the flag team were optimistic about the coming events. Amanda Quist, ?04, left, and Elise Aydelotte, ?05, practice with the Color Guard team on March 4 preparing for the next competition at Clovis High.” “” “” “