Dessert Theatre showcases talent

In an effort to showcase talent, free of charge, the drama class will host the Dessert Theatre Night in Ground Zero, Feb. 4.

“We are doing the Dessert Theatre because we want to put on things we do on chapel for parents, family and friends in the evening,” Tom McEntee, drama teacher, said. “We are rehearsing every day in drama class to prepare for this event. Working with a deadline is forcing us to work hard.”

The show will start at 7 P.M., and is expected to conclude at 9 P.M.

The evening includes a variety of skits performed in chapel along with some scenes not viewed on campus, including “Can’t you see what you’re saying” or “The call of the common but clever peasant.”

“We had the dessert theatre four years ago and it is rather a big production,” McEntee said. “It is also a good way for many of our new drama students to gain experience on stage.”

Each actor must provide dessert for his or her table. Tickets cannot be bought; each student invites seven to sit at their table.

“I kind of wish we were doing a play instead of the Dessert Theatre. Don’t get me wrong I think it is fine and all but I want to be in a play and have an official part. I want a chance to actually be in drama,” Ani Paparigian, ’09, said. “I like performing on stage because if I mess up I have friends to support me and to just laugh.”

While some students seem at ease in the spotlight, others feel anxiety preparing for their time on stage.

“I am definitely nervous about the Dessert Theatre because I am not used to performing in front of crowds,” Cynthia Powell, ’08, said. “To help me with my nerves I am practicing a lot and taking deep breaths.”

Although this is the first year drama is bringing back the theatre in several years, it seems to be one of the program’s main focuses of the year.

“To prepare for the Dessert Theatre I am memorizing my lines and getting decorations,” Stowe Empereur, ’11, said. “I am looking forward to decorating the tables because I get to decorate an design and decorate my own table. Even though I am looking forward to decorating I am not looking forward to making the desserts.”