Cheer aces Clovis Pep Classic

After qualifying for USA Nationals at Regionals, Jan. 20, the varsity cheer squad attempted to perfect their routine at the Clovis Pep Classic on Jan. 26, placing first in the Performance Cheer Division. The JV squad also placed first in the Show Cheer Division.

The competition was an opportunity to perfect their routine for Nationals, March 7-9 in Anaheim. And, according to coach Katie Mendenhall, varsity squad performed on of their best routines ever.

“Their showmanship was through the roof,” Mendenhall said. “The scores- 96, 95 and 95 out of 100-outscored even last year?s squad. Also, their level of difficulty was extremely high.”

After a disappointing 4th place in the competition last year, the girls attempted to surpass their previous show with an outstanding performance.

“Last year at the same event, we had changed the routine the week before,” Mendenhall said. “The timing was off; it was a disaster. This year we were able to break free of that: everything went great.”

After adding a level of difficulty with a multi-flyer combination stunt, the squad felt their routine exceeded expectations.

“It was really exciting to perform a routine we knew was good,” Lindsay Bolduc, ’09, said. “Even though we were the only team in our division, the comments from the judges assured me that our experience at Nationals will be amazing. We are going to be good.”

The judges, along with their high scores, praised the performance, calling it, “sharp and clean”, along with suggestions to use signs to boost crowd involvement.

Although the JV squad is not headed for Nationals, captain Holly Savage, ’10, believes the competition was a learning experience.

“We’ve been working hard to get back in shape after Christmas,” Savage said. “The competition was encouraging, to hear what the judges said, and we?re only going to get better.”

For another photo of the event, go to the photos section and check out Stunt to win. The JV and varsity squads will next compete at the FCC (Fellowship of Christian Cheerleaders) West Coast Championship at Azusa Pacific University on Feb. 16.