Starbucks speaker serves suggestions

Many seniors realize the need to work in order to cover college and living expenses, as graduation looms just three months away. While choosing the line of work may seem the most difficult, alumna Tricia Hill, ’03, explained the application and interview process to campus English classes, Feb. 6.

“I found the speaker’s lecture intimidating,” Matthew Nickel, ’08, said. “I was surprised by some of her expectations for applicants. In spite of this, I would consider applying to Starbucks because of the opportunities available within the company.”

When Hill applied for her first job at Starbucks, Jan. ’04, she never thought her years spent serving coffee as a barista would lead to her current role as store manager at the Willow and Nees location. She credits her maturity, work ethic and skill as the reasons for her gradual promotions within the company.

Hill’s success in her experience enables her to inform others on how to get a job as well as keep it. Some of her advice includes: dressing ‘ready to work,’ physically meeting the manager before turning in an application, expressing a passion for the business and being prompt.

While Hill’s information may appear obvious, she reveals how many applicants fail to meet these general requirements. Hill claims first impressions often make the difference.

“If people want a job they need to show it,” Hill said. “When people walk in dressed in their pajamas, I’m not going to hire them. I want an employee who comes prepared to work.”

As a manager, Hill also spent the period promoting the Starbucks Company by discussing its uniqueness. For example, Starbucks considers itself a “third place.”

“Starbucks is the place people go when they aren’t at home or work,” Hill said. “Our store becomes more than just a coffee house, but a family. Our customers often become friends with the employees because of the effort we make to get to know them on a more personal level.”

Hill revealed how customers intentionally followed her when she changed locations because of the relationships built when serving coffee. She finds these friendships the most rewarding aspect as a Starbucks employee.

Although Hill continues to work as the stores manager, she thinks she may want to become a training specialist for the company in the near future.

“It was helpful when she told us what to do and what not to do” Whitney Stipe, ’08, said. “It got me to think about my future and how I was going to go about the job application process.”