Replacement teacher rekindles math passion

When students arrive back from Christmas break, many expect the same campus, except perhaps peers with new clothes or hairstyles. However, many rarely anticipate different faculty.

?Because I look so young many students thought that I was a student myself,? Stephanie Banks, math teacher, said. ?They were all shocked that I was their teacher.?

Banks took over Math I, Algebra I and Algebra I Honors, for Tina Nakashian who left for maternity leave and became ill during first semester. Although Ericlee Gilmore, track and field coach, replaced her temporarily, administration sought a long-term solution.

?The first thing I saw in her was enthusiasm and excitement about teaching,? Schultz said. ?She believes she can make a difference and is dedicated to young people. She had education, training, high recommendations and she had the spiritual commitment to be a teacher here.?

Banks is a ’07 graduate from California State University, Fresno (FSU) where she earned a Bachelor’s and Masters degree. Prior arriving on campus, she maintained two and a half years of classroom experience.

?I?ve known that I?ve always wanted to teach since I was in elementary school,? Banks said. ?My freshman year of college I decided I wanted to teach math. The reason I wanted to become a teacher is because I want to create an excitement for math in others.

?All my math teachers have influenced me to be a math teacher myself,? Banks said. ?I?ve always had good math teachers who know what they are doing, so math just came natural to me.?

Now into the second month of second semester completed, many students seem to have adapted to Banks? new teaching methods.

?I like the way she teaches,? Morgan Childs, ?12, said. “She gives us a second chance and helps us know what we did wrong. She explains everything and allows us to solve the examples. We always do five to eight examples to make sure we understand the lesson.?

Banks? teaching method rekindled freshman Rachel Wilhelm?s love of the subject.

?Math has always been my favorite subject,? Wilhelm, soccer player, said. ?but with Ms. Banks as a teacher it has become my favorite subject again, she introduced a very different teaching style.?

Because of Banks’ age, junior high cheerleader Lisa Lumeya, ?12, made assumptions regarding her competence as a teacher.

?She is really pretty, which caused me to believe that she would not be the best math teacher,? Lumeya said, ?but I was wrong. She explains things really well and I feel I can ask for her help when I need it.?

In her free time, Banks spends time with her family and exercises.

“I don’t have much free time with all the grading of papers and preparing (lessons),” Banks said, “but I try to go to the gym four times a week. I spend most of my free time with family and boyfriend.”

Her time preparing lessons does not only go towards campus students. She also teaches math classes at FSU and Willow International Center.

?So far I love teaching here,? Banks said. ?I?m starting to get to know the student and staff. I have never met a nicer group of people. Knowing that our faith is such an important part of the school, that just makes it all the better. I am motivated and willing to do things for others, have a positive attitude and make daily sacrifices to put faith and God first.?