Blogosphere advocates interaction

In an effort to create a “place for friends”, websites such as MySpace and Facebook have created online journals, commonly known as “blogs”, available to Internet users everywhere. Now, online high school newspapers are following suit.

“A blog in its basic form is an online journal or diary,” Webmaster Andrew Rurik, ’09, said. “It’s different than a letter to the editor, because you can write about what your views are and what you are feeling on a blog instead of just commenting on a specific article.”

Adviser Greg Stobbe and Rurik began to brainstorm ideas for the new website in December of ’06, placing emphasis on the addition of a blogosphere. Their efforts led to the unveiling of the Feather Blogosphere, Jan 31.

“I like blogs because I am able to inject myself into The Feather scene,” Chelsea Joy, ’09, said. “I think having blogs is good, because it gives students an opportunity to get to know what we are really about instead of just getting straight information.”

Three blog sections currently run: Sports, headed by senior Coleton Hutchins, sports editor, The Arts, written by reviews editor, Chelsea Joy, ’09, and Student Life, by staff writers Austin Ward, ’11, and Suzanna Quiring, ’10.

“Blogs are short and easy to read, unlike some articles that can exceed two pages,” Ward said. “The student body will probably be more inclined to the read the blogs, which in turn gets them to read the paper. I like that blogs are more casual and conversational, allowing them to be more easily interpreted by students.

“The blogs also open up a wide variety of topics that might not be suitable for a full article,” Ward said. “We can cover more things with blogs and address other issues. We can also add our opinion and humor into it to make it more fun for Suzanna (Quiring) and I and the readers at the same time.”

Although Hutchins, Joy, Ward and Quiring have regular posts, anyone can comment on their submissions.

“I like blogs because they are fun to read and are also interesting,” Hannah Palmer, ’11, said. “I can express myself and say what ever I want in blogs.”

The blogosphere addition aims to allow for a wide variety of topics to further reader interaction.

“Blogs are another means of communication that provides interaction with one another and address issues like: athletics, the arts and even our administration,” CJ Haydock, video production adviser, said. “Having blogs will allow students to address these issues in a comfortable and non-formal way. It is a place where they can be an honest in their dialogue.”