Underdog victory ignites hope

Super Bowl XLII marshaled 97.5 million spectators, setting the second highest rating in viewership, Feb. 3. Although some focused on comical commercials, many tuned in to root for the underdog.

Popular assumption dubs the underdog as a lost cause, yet the long shot often fans hope.

Quarterback Eli Manning and the New York Giants received the Lombardi trophy after defeating the ?highest scoring offense in NFL history? led by the New England PatriotsTom Brady. The Patriots possessed more experience, team chemistry and previous Super Bowl victories, while the Giants inherited the label of the “underdog”.

Some claim the projected winner faces the greatest challenge, due to the pressure to satisfy the anticipated outcomes. However, the little man must defy the odds imposed on him by society and reach hidden potential.

Though some believe an underdog victory can only be achieved by professional athletes or in theaters, similar stories exist on campus.

The FC Academic Decathlon team placed first in Division II, with only two one-year veterans. Adviser Molly Sargent says, ?Experience can be helpful in this competition,” but the rookie team outscored local Clovis schools ten times their size, finishing sixth in the county.

In addition, eight of nine members received medals, while newcomer Brittany Lauber, ’08, surpassed the campus record by 500 points, with a total of 7,700.

Similarly, the varsity girls? basketball team defeated the same Clovis campuses in pre-season and remain undefeated in league; they hope to return to the State playoffs after an undefeated regular season.

All underdogs face challenges fully aware of the probability of defeat, but welcome adversity. For this reason, the unlikely winner embodies the same principle that founded the United States.

The American Dream states anyone can achieve success through hard work. Victory for the little guy is a beacon of hope and inspiration.

Underdog is just another word for contender.