Casa Corona dispels suspicions

While Casa Corona may conjure thoughts of a popular beer, the ‘house of crowns’ at the corner of Cedar and Herndon has a hidden Hispanic secret. The Mexican cuisine found at the popular hole-in-the-wall restaurant unveils heavenly food despite the mental image of an ice cold bottle of beer.

This Mexican gold mine is hidden behind dark windows beneath a bright yellow sign. Inside, the restaurant is decorated Mexican style with maroon ceilings, colorful parrot motifs, and ceramic pottery.

This restaurant is never empty yet always has a table waiting for customers. Even for those hosting an entire family or large party, Casa Corona will cater to all seating needs.

For those looking for classic Mexican cuisine, Casa Corona will no doubt impress. With chili relleno, steaming fajitas, taquitos, and many other favorites, the ‘house of crowns’ may become a home away from home for many fans.

Though the prices may not exactly entice customers, the portions are generous. Prices range from $15 for the prawn fajitas and $10.25 for a single taco. Entrees usually cost around $8, and for those who like good news, the prices remain constant from lunch to dinner.

For dining options, the manager recommends the king nachos (choice of meat with beans, cheese, tomatoes, avocados, jalapenos, and sour cream) for about $9 or the chile verde for $10.47, which includes cubes of simmered pork, grilled tomatillos, and jalapenos with a side of rice and beans.

My mother and I dined in the afternoon, fully prepared for an authentic Mexican meal. As we munched on fresh chips and salsa, I ordered a chicken taco with everything, including my choice of salsa. The chicken was fresh and, though somewhat bland, still offered a great flavor.

My mother chose a classic healthy living tostada, one of the low-calorie options on the menu, for $8.25. Like most of the other dishes, the meal came with a side of rice and beans, along with a side of avocados for an extra $3.

Despite the slightly outrageous price for a simple side of avocados and taco meals, Casa Corona’s menu gives customers a wealth of options. Though Mexican restaurants are a dime a dozen in the Fresno area, few offer as many menu choices as Casa Corona.

The Mexican restaurant is open from 11 A.M.-11 P.M. and is a great spot for a relaxed day with friends or family. For more information, contact Casa Corona at 559-323-7409.

For more reviews, visit In-N-Out grills competition .